Well it took some weeks but I finally got indexed by Google Scholar… What I did? well I just searched some of the keywords included in the articles of my journal, and they appear. I dont know if your articles have keywords neither if you want to show them but this is how I cheked the inclussion in Scholar.
For any one reading this and wondering about Google Scholar indexing timeline: we never submitted anything to Google or took any SEO measures for our OJS and our articles are usually indexed about 4-6 days after publication.
I am happy that others are not having any issues with Scholar but I must sadly report that my journal is still not being indexed. There is some redundant indexing going on through Proquest, with whom we have a contract but Google Scholar simply refuses to index our articles. So far I have done the following, to no avail:
- Correctly installed, configured and deployed over 11,000 articles with abstracts, DOIs and all the required metadata.
- Submitted a sitemap using webmaster tools.
- Made numerous requests with google to index my site.
- Added HTML links to full HTML versions of articles that are available (on a companion website). This comes to a about 4,000 of the 11,000+ articles.
- Published new content every month, and before the major content providers get our work, i.e., we have them delay publication so that crawlers “see” our content first.
- Went through the pdf presentation by Anurag Acharya (mention above by @ctgraham) to make sure I did not miss anything.
I am at whits end.
Thanks @jamilj et. al. to post all your doubts and advances.
We are also trying to deal with this. Inclusion in google looks arbitrary… and we are not still able to understand the logic.
@ctgraham, thanks for the links. We will review them carefully.
I just had an idea. In OJS files directory is usualy hiden and not web accesable. But, if you will host your pdfs in webaccesable destinations, than most probably Google bots will find them and will index. I know that it is not the way should be, but it probably will work. For example, in OJS 3 is the possibility to upload pdf and attach it to galley or just to indiate the path to existing pdf. So, you can upload your pdfs in any destination and after that reconect galleys by links.
The other way is to include articles in different databases like DOAJ or Zenodo.
Hope, this will help.
That’s a dangerous configuration – authors will be able to upload malicious files (e.g.
.phtml code) and then construct a URL to cause the server to execute them. Not to mention that you’d expose pre-publication content without any access controls.
Public Knowledge Project Team
Well, it is sad.
Indexing in GS is a difficult matter. For those, who would like to know more, I would recommend reading this book: Improving the Visibility and Use of Digital Repositories Through SEO: A LITA ... - Kenning Arlitsch, Patrick Obrien - Google Books
As to the problems with OJS, you might probably try to configure it manually in GS:
OJS3 is very good indexed in google scholar. All published articles in our journal, that is not officially released yet, are all indexed in this database. Only problem is that google scholar is not seeing xml.
Pre-publication content shouldn’t be indexed – are you sure that’s what’s happening? Is it possible that your PDFs etc. are being accessed through another mechanism, such as a
files_dir that’s directly accessible through the web server?
Public Knowledge Project Team
Its all alright, they are published. We already published several articles just for testing. And only they are indexed.
Ah, gotcha. I did ask Google Scholar what they would prefer for exposing XML, and we haven’t been able to work out a plan yet permitting OJS to tell Scholar where to fetch the XML.
Public Knowledge Project Team
How to Index in Google Scholar? We have add plugin but we do not know how it works.
Our Website: http://ijellh.com/OJS/index.php/OJS
I suggest you make an account in google search console. Following is the link:
Once logged in, you add a property where you add you website and verify it.
Then add the sitemap of your website under “crawl”
The path to the sitemap would be:
Wait for 2-6 weeks. In my case, it never took more than two weeks.
Let me know the results.
I think, this one is for their ‘general’ crawler. Here is a ‘dedicated’ one for Google Scholar:
I’ve done both. I got a complaint a little over a year ago that some articles were not in google scholar. I the made the “dedicated” indexing request for both the whole site and the single journal. But nothing really happened. After a few weeks I did the request via Search Console and that resulted to the indexing of the missing articles also in scholar.
But to be honest, I have no idea which one of the requests actually resulted to the indexing. It could be it was the “dedicated” one but only took more time
AFAIK, Google and Google Scholar use two completely different crawlers. The indexing time after using the ‘dedicated’ request form may take ‘a few weeks’ (that was said somewhere in their documentation). So that might have been a coincidence.
I have never used the “dedicated” one and have no experience about it.
However, with the search console, our single journal installation is available in google search in 1-2 days and in scholar withing 2 weeks. We never had a problem with indexing.
As posted in previous threads, google scholar indexing is not transparent and nobody knows what are the exact requirements.
Well, then they might be related somehow
Strange enough, but when the university is large enough, they might even contact its representatives themselves, offering some support. They even gave us a somewhat helpful document on metatags, which was a bit more detailed than the one available through their help center.
Here is that PDF, BTW. Hope it’ll help anyone.
[Editor: The link was broken; removed.]