First letters omitted in some citation styles

Hello, folks. I’m using OJS 3.2.1-1, and I noticed a problem with several citation styles.

There is no problem when using ABNT:

MARTINS, . V. M.; FERREIRA NETTO, . Retomada do tom médio após intervalos de sonoridade. Gradus - Revista Brasileira de Fonologia de Laboratório , Curitiba, v. 4, n. 2, p. 11-31, 2020. Disponível em: //gradusjournal.com/index.php/gradus/article/view/133. Acesso em: 30 jun. 2020.

However, as soon as we change to others styles, several words lose their first letters, either in the title or in the additional information.

APA:

Martins, M. V. M., & Ferreira Netto, W. (2020). Retomada do tom médio após intervalos de sonoridade. radus evista rasileira e onologia e Laboratório , 4 (2), 11-31. ecuperado de //gradusjournal.com/index.php/gradus/article/view/133

Harvard:

Martins, M. V. M. e Ferreira Netto, W. (2020) “Retomada do tom médio após intervalos de sonoridade”, Gradus - Revista Brasileira de Fonologia de Laboratório . Curitiba, 4(2), p. 11-31. isponível em: //gradusjournal.com/index.php/gradus/article/view/133 (cessado: 30junho2020).

Chicago:

Martins, Marcus Vinicius Moreira, e Waldemar Ferreira Netto. 2020. “etomada o om médio após ntervalos e onoridade”. radus evista rasileira e onologia e Laboratório 4 (2). Curitiba:11-31. //gradusjournal.com/index.php/gradus/article/view/133.

Any suggestions?

Luiz Cláudio

Hi @lcduarte,

I suspect this may be related to https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/5629. We make use of the (excellent) third-party CiteProc-PHP library for formatting references in various formats, and I suspect updating to a newer release of that library would resolve the issue you’re encountering. We use Composer for PHP dependencies – the Composer descriptor including the CiteProc-PHP dependency is in plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/composer.json, and the CiteProc-PHP library itself is included in plugins/generic/citationStyleLanguage/lib/vendor/seboettg/citeproc-php. You should be able to use Composer to update the dependency. Please confirm if this resolves the issue (and as always, make a good backup before working with dependencies etc).

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi, @asmecher. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, it didn’t help. CiteProc-PHP is already the latest release (2.2.0).

I created a sandbox OJS-3.2.1 installation from scratch, using git, and it presents the same issue. From some comments on CiteProc-PHP github, I downgraded PHP from 7.3 to 7.2, to no avail.