File/folder permissions OJS 3.02

Hello, I cam across one server with folders 0755 and files 0644 in htdocs in which OJS 3.02 is installed. All files and folders in htdocs are owned by user wwwrun and group www. Some parts of the system do not work. When I login as administrator I can read Submissions, Settings but I cannot enter Administration menu since I got blank page when doing that. When I enter changes in Author Guidelines they are not saved although after clicking on Save I was prompted that changes were saved. Please advise.

Hi @vvucic

Do you check your error.log from your webserver to verify if there is some line message about this access error?

Israel

Hello,

It says that there is permission error. After changing permission to 0777 it works fine. But, permissions 0777 should not be used much on server. I tried to install new instance of OJS on that server and installation was possible only when I put 0777 permissions for public, cache and ojs-data folders in order to perform installation of OJS. I am not sure that this is proper way of doing things. Thus, I want to learn from others how they manage those issues.

Thanks

Hi @vvucic

There is a recommended file permission setting on this thread:

But I will paste a summarize version bellow:

And you are right, don’t chmod production environment with 777, it is unsafe.

Best

Israel

Hello,

I know that folders should be 0755 and files 0644 as on servers of many hosting companies. I am asking this question because when I set permissions in that way some functions do not work. I have to do more detailed conversation with guys who manage that server.

Thanks

Which are Web-writable files? Please give an example.

All files you can upload to the server using OJS are web-writable.