Failure when upgrading from OJS 2.4.8.0 to 3.0 (Postgres)

Hi!

I’m having some problems to upgrade. The previous problems was solved. They are listed here:

But, now I have a new problem, when I run:

php tools/upgrade.php upgrade

In the middle of processing I have a connection error with postgres.
Postgres log:

LOG: statement: INSERT INTO review_round_files (submission_id, review_round_id, stage_id, file_id, revision) SELECT afm.article_id, rr.review_round_id, 3, afm.file_id, afm.revision FROM article_files_migration afm, articles_migration am, review_rounds rr WHERE am.review_file_id = afm.file_id AND rr.submission_id = afm.article_id AND rr.round = afm.round
LOG: statement: UPDATE submission_files SET file_stage=2 FROM submission_files sf, articles_migration am WHERE am.submission_file_id=sf.file_id
LOG: server process (PID 11416) was terminated by signal 9: Killed
DETAIL: Failed process was running: UPDATE submission_files SET file_stage=2 FROM submission_files sf, articles_migration am WHERE am.submission_file_id=sf.file_id
LOG: terminating any other active server processes
WARNING: terminating connection because of crash of another server process
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
DETAIL: The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
HINT: In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.
LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG: database system was interrupted; last known up at 2016-11-01 21:47:20 BRST
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG: redo starts at AA/ACC09E10
LOG: unexpected pageaddr A9/B5BF2000 in log segment 00000001000000AA000000B4, offset 12525568
LOG: redo done at AA/B4BEF7B8
LOG: MultiXact member wraparound protections are now enabled
LOG: database system is ready to accept connections

During the processing server uses only 3GB of 4 reserved for him.
When executing this command:

LOG: server process (PID 11416) was terminated by signal 9: Killed
DETAIL: Failed process was running: UPDATE submission_files SET file_stage=2 FROM submission_files sf, articles_migration am WHERE am.submission_file_id=sf.file_id
LOG: terminating any other active server processes

Postgres uses all memory and swap available on my computer. Then the process is killed by OOM killer.

It’s crazier than I can understand.
Can someone help me?

Hi @Tarcisio_Pereira,

The query that’s being executed is fairly innocuous: (see dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_update.xml)

<query driver="postgres7">UPDATE submission_files SET file_stage=2 FROM submission_files sf, articles_migration am WHERE am.submission_file_id=sf.file_id</query><!-- SUBMISSION_FILE_SUBMISSION -->

I suspect you might need to work a little with your PostgreSQL configuration to limit the amount of memory it expects to use.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher

Yeah, I tested it again, with 16gb of RAM and 135GB of swap. OOM Killer killed postgres again, after 6 hours.
It’s insane, I’m shure about the limit of 4gb but I will double check postgresql.conf.

Best regards,
Tarcisio Pereira.

Hi @Tarcisio_Pereira,

Maybe try running that query directly in the PostgreSQL client after a failed attempt to run an upgrade – just to ensure that there’s not something else going on?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi @asmecher

I will try.

Regards,
Tarcisio Pereira

Hi @asmecher

Is that query. But it’s insane.
ojs3=# select count(*) from submission_files;
count

(1 row)

Time: 36.331 ms

ojs3=# select count(*) from articles_migration;
count

(1 row)

Time: 30.285 ms

ojs3=# select count(*) FROM submission_files sf, articles_migration am WHERE am.submission_file_id=sf.file_id;
count

(1 row)

Time: 78.130 ms

Is there some explanation? Is there other way to upgrade?

Regards,
Tarcisio Pereira.

Hi @asmecher

Take a look:
ojs3=# UPDATE submission_files SET file_stage = 2 where file_id in (select (file_id) FROM submission_files sf, articles_migration am WHERE am.submission_file_id=sf.file_id);
UPDATE 36354
Time: 860.080 ms

Is that ok? Can I change it inside xml and upgrade? It’s insane…

Regards,
Tarcisio Pereira.

The logic should be identical.

While this may work for Postgres, I’m pretty sure mysql will choke on an update of a table which is referenced in a subquery. The cross-platform statement might be better as:

UPDATE submission_files SET file_stage=2 WHERE submission_file_id IN (SELECT am.file_id FROM articles_migration am)
1 Like

Hi @ctgraham.

Yeah, because subquery will do a lot of ‘or’ and ‘or’ and ‘or’ and ‘or’ and ‘or’ and ‘or’ and ‘or’ and ‘or’…
Same problem with the rest of the same XML. 4 querys.
I rewrote them…
Testing…

Regards,
Tarcisio Pereira.

Hi @asmecher and @ctgraham

Apparently it worked.
Now I have datatype error between int and smallint.
I will resolve these errors and I contact you.

Best regards,
Tarcisio Pereira

Hi @Tarcisio_Pereira,

That may be this change – try pulling it into your install before you run the upgrade.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi @asmecher and @ctgraham

Everything working in my test installation.
My institution will test and I will upgrade the real instalation in some moment in the future.
Thank you both.

Tarcisio Pereira.