Excluding Journal Editors from settings

Hello everyone,
I’m looking for a way to grant editors full access to all articles in all stages while at the same time excluding them from the website’s settings. Is there a way to do that? Thanks!

Unfortunately no. The editors and the journal managers have basically the same permission level and currently there is no way of limiting the access of a specific role from the settings. Of course you could do your own additions to the code and hide some of the menu options from the dashboard, but that would involve coding and maintaining those changes through upgrades.

1 Like

Hi AJ. “The editors and the journal managers have basically the same permission level and currently there is no way of limiting the access of a specific role from the settings.” Is this still the case? We’d also looking at hiding some settings from Journal Editor using OJS 3.1.2.0 but I see JM and JE both identify as ROLE_ID_MANAGER 0x00000010. Just checking if I missed something before I create a workaround.
Regards, Jannie van Tonder

As far as I know, it is the same permission level. The only difference is that Journal Editor role is assigned to all four stages in role settings. BUT even though Journal Manager is not assigned to any of the stages, they can still access any submission. You just can not assign a Journal Manager to a submission.

For limiting access to settings for Journal managers is not possible by default. I guess you could write a plugin to do that but have not considered the details.