Error with submission folder during installation

Whenever I try to install OJS, I get the following error:

Errors occurred during installation
The directory specified for uploaded files does not exist or is not writable.

I have looked at every pre-existing thread on this issue and every FAQ relevant to it and could not find a solution. The folder I am attempting to use is writable and the path I’m using for it should be correct. How should I proceed?

Hi @Erik_Rose,

Have you run across the file permissions post in the FAQ area of this forum? Let me know what you’ve tried (be as specific as possible) and what the outcome was.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

@asmecher

Yes, I have come across the FAQ, as well as most relevant posts on this forum.

I have tried to set the folder both within the webdirectory and outside, no luck.

I have attempted to change the permissions for the folder I’m using for the uploaded files through Windows properties and also chmod/chown using a virtual machine, still get the same error message every time.

I have tried different links to the path (both the Windows link with the slashes inverted, link from the virtual machine, and http link) and get the same error every time.

I’ve made this folder many different times, calling it different things, putting it different folders (trying both web-accessible and not) and continue to have this error.

Please let me know if there’s any suggestions you have or any further information you need.

Best,
Erik

Hi @Erik_Rose,

This is more of a Windows file permissions question than an OJS question, and I’m not particularly familiar with Windows’ model. I’d suggest trying with a quick test script:

<?php
echo is_writable('/path/to/files-path')?'writable':'not writable';

Executing that script will tell you whether PHP has permission to write to the specified path.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Kind of already figured that out, but thanks anyways.

Hi @Erik_Rose,

You might have more luck on StackOverflow.com, posting the question more generally than an OJS-specific question – but it’s definitely not safe to have this directory web-accessible unless you protect it in other ways, so I would suggest avoiding that. It shouldn’t be relevant to the file permission question.

Regards,
Alec Smecher