Error when accepting a Reviewer Invitation

As a reviewer, when I click on the button to accept the review invitation, I’m getting the following error:

If I click on the button again, the error goes away and the task moves to the next step.

We are using OJS 3.0.2.

Hi @alexxxmendonca,

Are you able to reproduce this behavior reliably?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Just a comment here, that these kinds of errors happen from time to time both with the review form and the submission form. It can be like this or you get the error “status true” etc.

I have usually seen them in workshops where I am teaching to use OJS3, but never been able to reproduce them in any browser.

The errors are not browser dependent and usually after getting such error the same user will not get it anymore. This has led me to believe that it is somehow related to browser cache. I mean, in some cases a script is not loaded properly during the first time but the second time you try everything works.

Edit: it is this one: OJS3 moving between steps in submission and review forms sometimes cause errors

Hi @asmecher,

It didn’t happen the first time around I tested, but it happened this time just before I made this topic.

I tested on two different computers to make sure that it wasn’t just on my computer.

I will run some more tests later.

Best regards,
Alex

Hi @asmecher and @alexxxmendonca

I have found a way to reproduce this error. I will post it to Github and paste the link here.

Edit:

1 Like

@alexxxmendonca

Do you have this setting in your config.inc.php: https://github.com/pkp/ojs/blob/master/config.TEMPLATE.inc.php#L55

Hi @ajnyga,

Yes, I just confirmed with our IT person.

Ok, a few other questions. Trying to find out what is happening with the form. Probably all of these cases are connected to the validation of CSRF tokens, but there seems to be a few different cases when this happens, some of them maybe connected only to our installation (see [OJS] OJS3.0.2 Review form breaks for users that are visiting OJS for the first time · Issue #2417 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub and [OJS] CSRF token validity time (one hour) breaks the review form · Issue #2428 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub)
):

1. When the form got broken, did you use a oneclick reviewer access link?
  2. If you did, did your email open some other browser you do not usually use?

If this is connected to the oneclick link, then:
3. When you click the oneclick link and enter the review form, do you see the tasks and submissions links in the left sidebar?
4. Can you try and send a oneclick link to yourself, then clean your browser cache, and then click the link to enter the form. Does the first step get broken again?

Hi @ajnyga,

1 When the form got broken, did you use a oneclick reviewer access link?

Yes, I did.

2 If you did, did your email open some other browser you do not usually use?

No, I was using Chrome and it opened in Chrome as well.

3 When you click the oneclick link and enter the review form, do you see the tasks and submissions links in the left sidebar?

Yes, I saw them alright.

4 Can you try and send a oneclick link to yourself, then clean your browser cache, and then click the link to enter the form. Does the first step get broken again?

I copy & pasted the URL on an anonymous browse window and then on IE (which I never use) – which means they are free of cache, right? The problem persisted even after doing so.

So do you get this problem every time you visit a review through a oneclick link? I mean regardless of if you clear your cache or not?

I would have to test this more.

I’ll do so and get back to you if problem persists.