Error upgrade from OJS 2.4.8 to OJS 3.1.2 with postgres11

Hi all,
I upgraded OJS from 2.3.7 to OJS 2.4.8 without any problem.
Upgrading from 2.4.8 to 3.1.2 first failed with “static” and installed the patch for that:
https://gist.github.com/asmecher/d1013624ff5325eae97384ae5adc88c4/raw/c636dded71570c195078c68fe2608f0efc552bdd/postgresql-serials.diff
That worked fine, but then I got stuck with the error: ojs2: DB Error: ERROR: relation “articles” does not exist
I read the post: Upgrade from 2.4 to 3.0.2 and 3.1 failed - #7 by gustavov
and applied patch: https://github.com/pkp/ojs/commit/4d3455f1f56b4a2d21d86456b6d3e84b00f6b87c.diff
I got a Hunk:

patching file dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_update.xml
Hunk #1 FAILED at 93.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_update.xml.rej

3.0.0_update.xml.rej looks like this:

--- dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_update.xml                                                                                                                                                                                                    
+++ dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_update.xml                                                                                                                                                                                                    
@@ -93,13 +93,13 @@
        <sql>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
                <query driver="mysql">UPDATE submission_files sf, genres g, submissions s, article_galleys_migration agm SET sf.genre_id = g.genre_id WHERE g.entry_key = 'STYLE' AND g.context_id = s.context_id AND s.submission_id = sf.su\
bmission_id AND sf.file_id = agm.style_file_id</query>                                                                                                                                                                                        
                <query driver="mysqli">UPDATE submission_files sf, genres g, submissions s, article_galleys_migration agm SET sf.genre_id = g.genre_id WHERE g.entry_key = 'STYLE' AND g.context_id = s.context_id AND s.submission_id = sf.s\
ubmission_id AND sf.file_id = agm.style_file_id</query>                                                                                                                                                                                       
-               <query driver="postgres7">UPDATE submission_files SET genre_id = g.genre_id FROM genres g, submissions s, article_galleys_migration agm WHERE g.entry_key = 'STYLE' AND g.context_id = s.context_id AND s.submission_id = sub\
mission_files.submission_id AND sf.file_id = agm.style_file_id</query>                                                                                                                                                                        
+               <query driver="postgres7">UPDATE submission_files sf SET genre_id = g.genre_id FROM genres g, submissions s, article_galleys_migration agm WHERE g.entry_key = 'STYLE' AND g.context_id = s.context_id AND s.submission_id = \
sf.submission_files.submission_id AND sf.file_id = agm.style_file_id</query>                                                                                                                                                                  
        </sql>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
        <!-- issue #2758: set assoc_type = 515 (ASSOC_TYPE_SUBMISSION_FILE) and the appropriate assoc_id for HTML galley CSS files -->                                                                                                        
        <sql>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
                <query driver="mysql">UPDATE submission_files sf, article_galleys_migration agm SET sf.assoc_type = 515, sf.assoc_id = agm.file_id WHERE sf.file_id = agm.style_file_id</query>                                               
                <query driver="mysqli">UPDATE submission_files sf, article_galleys_migration agm SET sf.assoc_type = 515, sf.assoc_id = agm.file_id WHERE sf.file_id = agm.style_file_id</query>                                              
-               <query driver="postgres7">UPDATE submission_files SET assoc_type = 515, assoc_id = agm.file_id FROM article_galleys_migration agm WHERE sf.file_id = agm.style_file_id</query>                                                
+               <query driver="postgres7">UPDATE submission_files sf SET assoc_type = 515, assoc_id = agm.file_id FROM article_galleys_migration agm WHERE sf.file_id = agm.style_file_id</query>                                             
        </sql>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
        <!-- Bug #7745: Change no_NO to nb_NO -->                                                                                                                                                                                             
        <sql>

I tried to replace the two rows manually but I still got the error: ojs2: DB Error: ERROR: relation “articles” does not exist

I guess that the problem is that I use postgresql 11.

Thanks alot!

Marcus

Could you try the patch i’ve posted on the " Upgrade from 2.4 to 3.0.2 and 3.1 failed" thread?

If you use postgresql, apply the second patch too.

The patch on github didnt work for me also.

Hi gustavov,
I tried both of your patches but I still get the error: ojs2: DB Error: ERROR: relation “articles” does not exist

I installed and restored database in pg 9.6.
I applied the patches and run the upgrade again.
Still the same error: ojs2: DB Error: ERROR: relation “articles” does not exist
Should I first upgrade to 3.0 before I upgrade to 3.1?

I am so sorry!! I did the rookie misstake and did not restore db between tests.
Now I get php errors, the error I get with the offical patches is:

PHP Warning:  Declaration of SubmissionLanguageEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL) should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /var/www/html/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionLanguageEntryDAO.inc.php on line 20
PHP Warning:  Declaration of SubmissionKeywordEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL) should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /var/www/html/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionKeywordEntryDAO.inc.php on line 45
PHP Warning:  Declaration of SubmissionAgencyEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL) should be compatible with ControlledVocabEntryDAO::getByControlledVocabId($controlledVocabId, $rangeInfo = NULL, $filter = NULL) in /var/www/html/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/submission/SubmissionAgencyEntryDAO.inc.php on line 44
[data: dbscripts/xml/upgrade/3.0.0_update.xml]
ERROR: Upgrade failed: DB: ERROR:  missing FROM-clause entry for table "submission_files"
LINE 1: ...g.context_id = s.context_id AND s.submission_id = sf.submiss...

And when I run upgrade with gustavov patches, I get one warning:

PHP Warning: Element '&lt;ahref|target&gt;&lt;em&gt;&lt;strong&gt;&lt;cite&gt;&lt;code&gt;&lt;ul&gt;&lt;ol&gt;&lt;li&gt;&lt;dl&gt;&lt;dt&gt;&lt;dd&gt;&lt;b&gt;&lt;i&gt;&lt;u&gt;&lt;imgsrc|alt&gt;&lt;sup&gt;&lt;sub&gt;&lt;br&gt;&lt;p&gt;' is not supported (for information on implementing this, see the support forums) in /var/www/html/ojs/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/ezyang/htmlpurifier/library/HTMLPurifier/HTMLDefinition.php on line 311

and one error:

<h1>DB Error: ERROR:  syntax error at or near &quot;metrics&quot;
LINE 1: INSERT metrics SELECT * FROM metrics_supp
               ^</h1>ojs2: DB Error: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "metrics"

I managed to upgrade to 3.0, when upgrading to 3.1.2 I first got the “static” error.
I applied patch: https://gist.github.com/asmecher/d1013624ff5325eae97384ae5adc88c4/raw/c636dded71570c195078c68fe2608f0efc552bdd/postgresql-serials.diff

After that I got the same php syntax error as before:

[code: Installer Installer::updateSuppFileMetrics]
<h1>DB Error: ERROR:  syntax error at or near &quot;metrics&quot;
               ^</h1>ojs2: DB Error: ERROR:  syntax error at or near "metrics"
               ^

Hi @marcus1,

Thanks for reporting – that’s a bug. Some PostgreSQL-incompatible SQL crept into the upgrade script. I’ve filed it here: PostgreSQL-incompatible SQL on upgrade: INSERT metrics · Issue #4823 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

I think you can resolve this by editing the line in classes/install/Upgrade.inc.php (approx. line 2891) that reads…

$metricsDao->update('INSERT metrics SELECT * FROM metrics_supp');

…to…

$metricsDao->update('INSERT INTO metrics SELECT * FROM metrics_supp');

Please confirm whether that works for you and I’ll commit it for the next release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi asmecher,
Thank you for the help, it works perfectly!!
I am happy to help!
Thank you for a great platform that suits our organization well!

Regards
Marcus

Hi @marcus1,

Excellent, thanks for confirming! That’ll be included in the next release of OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team