Error: the article display is different from the others

I am somewhat confused on how to explain it, there are articles that have been published on certain issues that have a different appearance when the link is opened (article detail).
Hopefully the image below can give an error description

In the left image showing normal interface conditions, the right sidebar also appears and the citation style can also be clicked.
While the right image, there is a margin (red arrow) that makes the article more indented right, and the sidebar does not appear. And so the citation style is not clickable.

Please help me to solve this issue

Hi @eddhie,

it looks like the article website is not fully loaded. This happens when code returns an error, like a plugin which doesn’t work properly. Do you have access to your php error log? There you can find the programm which causes this problem. Unfortunately without the error log it’s just trial and error (I would start checking if there is a plugin, which ist not active on all article websites, disable it and see, if that resolves the problem).

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @UBWolf thank you for your response,
The following error logs are produced from the server. This error appears when I use PHP version 7.2. When I changed PHP to version 7.3 no error log was produced, but the appearance remained the same as above

[30-Mar-2020 05:37:28 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method PKPApplication::getRequest() should not be called statically in /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/plugins/generic/customHeader/CustomHeaderPlugin.inc.php on line 112
[30-Mar-2020 05:38:00 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Non-static method PKPApplication::getRequest() should not be called statically in /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/plugins/generic/customHeader/CustomHeaderPlugin.inc.php on line 112
[30-Mar-2020 05:38:00 UTC] PHP Warning:  assert(): assert(is_a($issue, 'Issue')) failed in /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/classes/issue/IssueAction.inc.php on line 29
[30-Mar-2020 05:38:00 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to a member function getJournalId() on null in /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/classes/issue/IssueAction.inc.php:31
Stack trace:
#0 /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/classes/search/ArticleSearch.inc.php(274): IssueAction->subscriptionRequired(NULL, Object(Journal))
#1 /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/plugins/generic/recommendByAuthor/RecommendByAuthorPlugin.inc.php(137): ArticleSearch->formatResults(Array)
#2 /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/HookRegistry.inc.php(107): RecommendByAuthorPlugin->callbackTemplateArticlePageFooter('Templates::Arti...', Array)
#3 /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php(1237): HookRegistry::call('Templates::Arti...', Array)
#4 /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/cache/t_compile/a4fc84a2d9d2a85c011fcc528f09577e88e2fcff^1c372c95cd85572e0fbc9a53d0323a0b229cfc78_0.app.frontendpagesarticle.tpl.php(43): PKPTemplateManager->smartyCallHook(Array, Object(Smarty_Internal_Templa in /home/u6976116/public_html/ijadis.org/classes/issue/IssueAction.inc.php on line 31

Hi @eddhie,

I think your problem has something to do with the “Recommend By Author”-Plugin. Can you try to deactivate it?
What OJS Version are you using? Do you use the quick submit plugin?

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @UBWolf
Yes, apparently the cause is the Recommend By Author plugin
Thank you for solving my problem. After I deactivate the plugin, everything looks the normal for all articles.
I am using OJS 320-1 and also using quicksubmit plugin

Hi @eddhie,

great! I have the same problem: "Recommend Articles by Author"-Plugin error with OJS 3.2.0-1
So now I know it’s not only my system with this error :slight_smile:

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @UBWolf / @eddhie,

Interesting – and it sounds like you were able to track it to articles creates with the QuickSubmit plugin, @UBWolf.

Could one of you update your QuickSubmit code to the current master branch code at GitHub - pkp/quickSubmit? [General note: this is often not a recommended thing to do, but at the moment the 3.2.0 release is very close to the master branch, so it’s fine.] Please confirm whether new submissions created with the plugin have the same problem.

Meanwhile, @UBWolf, if this is just a small or test database, could you send me a copy? I’d like to confirm what it is about the submissions that causes problems with the Recommend By Author plugin, so I can make sure they’re fixed up on upgrade.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi all,

Just a quick note that Nate appears to have encountered and filed the same issue here:
https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/5683#issuecomment-605942731

Please watch for a potential fix; if possible, your confirmation would be welcome!

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

it’s a local testinstallation, so I can send you a database copy. Is there an email adress or something like that?

I will update the QuickSubmit code and let you know how it works.

Edit: I updated the QuickSubmit Plugin. The error is still there under specific circumstances. I think it works this way:
Example: Two authors with several articles.
First Case: All articles are assigned to an issue. There are no problems.
Second Case: One author has articles, which are all assigned to an issue. The second author has at least one article, which is not assigned to an issue. There are still no problems.
Third Case: Both authors have articles, which are not assigned to an issue. The error occurs.

If there’s only one author, the error always occurs, if he has an article, which ist not assigned.

I hope this helps a bit.

Kind regards
Daniela

Hi @UBWolf,

If you could privately send me a copy of your database, that would help!

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

same as mine, some article show error 500, check on error log
#0 /home/ajstd/public_html/plugins/generic/recommendByAuthor/RecommendByAuthorPlugin.inc.php(137): ArticleSearch->formatResults(Array)
#1 /home/ajstd/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/HookRegistry.inc.php(107): RecommendByAuthorPlugin->callbackTemplateArticlePageFooter('Templates::Arti...', Array)
#2 /home/ajstd/public_html/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php(1237): HookRegistry::call('Templates::Arti...', Array)
#3 /home/ajstd/public_html/cache/t_compile/93b4f13326abf2c920de729fdcdace1580d9bcb7^addd65021fadf964339ab08cd1aa93ba59b14e9c_0.app.frontendobjectsarticledet.php(573): PKPTemplateManager->smartyCallHook(Array, Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#4 /home/ajstd/public_html/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/smarty/smarty/libs/sysplugins/smarty_template_resource_base.php(123): content_5e92fea18399e4_24017338(Object(Smarty_Internal_Template))
#5 /home/ajstd/pub in /home/ajstd/public_html/classes/search/ArticleSearch.inc.php on line 278
[12-Apr-2020 18:44:38 Asia/Jakarta] PHP Warning: htmlspecialchars() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/ajstd/public_html/plugins/generic/googleScholar/GoogleScholarPlugin.inc.php on line 106

my solution disable Recommend Articles by Author Plugins.