Enabling scheduled tasks

Hello, I am new to configuring OJS 3 and need to enable scheduled tasks to set reviewer deadline reminders. How can I do this? Thank you for any help…
Lucia

Hi @lsteele,

There is information about how to enable scheduled tasks in this chapter of the OJS Administrator’s Guide.

Best,
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello Amanda,

thank you for getting back to me. The information you share is not really what I am looking for right now (but I will treasure for when I get to reporting!). I wonder if you can help me with my issue.

I need to enable scheduled task for reminding reviewers. It appears that I need to enable this:

Automated Email Reminders To activate these options, the site administrator must enable the scheduled_tasks option in the OJS configuration file. Additional server configuration may be required to support this functionality (which may not be possible on all servers), as indicated in the OJS documentation.”

I contacted our provided (4Science, in Italy) because I read in the documentation that the hosting server needs to be configured as well, and they replied that this is handled through a plugin (ACRON) already installed which replaces CRONTAB on the server. I can see this plug enabled in the plugin section, but I still cannot configure automated reminders, as they appeared greyed out.

Do you have any suggestion of what I should check to enable this feature?

I thank you very much for any help and suggestions you may provide!
Lucia

Hi @lsteele,

It is true that the Acron plugin can be used to handle scheduled tasks, but your config.php file still needs to be edited to turn scheduled tasks on before your scheduled tasks will run and automated reminders can be sent. Can you please confirm with your host that they have edited the config.php file for your installation so that in the General section it reads

scheduled_tasks = On

Thanks,
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team

Dear Amanda,

thank you to your detailed reply, I managed to get the scheduled_tasks working…!

Thanks again!!

Lucia

That is great to hear!