Enable Journal Publicly

I ticked the checkbox that says the journal should not appear publicly, but the journal can still be accessed by search engines.

Is it a matter of waiting for the search engines to crawl the website? Or does the journal need to deleted?

Any clarification will be appreciated.

Newone

Some of the nuances of this option and other access control options are discussed here:

I am not sure, but maybe it is solved with these PRs: Fix behavior when journal not publicly enabled · Issue #592 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

1 Like

But there is no solution other than hiding the content (archives) of the journal.

It might just be deleted instead of coming up on a title we do not offer.

Newone

The suggestion does not work for us as it does not remove the journal. It simply hides it.

Thanks for your feedback and we will review what to do next.

Newone

From the description in the issue and PRs @bozana mentions, it seems like this would cover the exact situation you describe, @newone. That is: any unauthenticated request (such as search engine crawling) to a disabled context (such as a non-public journal) is redirected to default landing page (thus removing it from public access).

Did you try making the changes from the pull requests? What specific actions did you take to reproduce the problem after the changes?

@ctgraham

Actually, the journal should not be available to public and to logged in users. His solution still gives logged in users access.

I just looked a bit closer. Is this the change:

_newone

That is one of several pull requests related to this issue.

If the journal is not to be available to the public, and not to be available to logged in users, that sounds a lot like you really just want to delete the journal.

If you want only journal managers or editorial staff to have access (but no authors or readers), remove the roles of the users you want to disallow, and disable new registrations.

I do appreciate the time you put in addressing the concern.

The pull request you suggested when looked at closely suggested removing access to issues, creating a redirect, disabling registration, and removing users, etc. But none of them addressed my initial concern of removing the journal from public and logged in users.

If a journal is not offered anymore, and access to issues are removed, and people cannot register, and those that previously registered are disallowed, is still there any use of having the journal publicly available?

-Newone

Have you transferred this journal to another publisher? If so, it would be reasonable to delete it from your site, after following the NISO Transfer Code of Practice. If you haven’t transferred the journal to another publisher and are simply considering discontinuing publication, consider making it permanently available as open access.