Email Templates

Hello,

When attempting to “notify” a submission author (and thus clicking “notify” under their name), some of our journal’s email templates do not appear in the prepared emails drop-down menu. Specifically in this case, the “copyediting review request” email template does not appear as an option, even though the template is enabled and set up to be directed from the editor to the author. It is not configured as a “custom template.” And there does not appear to be any problems with the coding within the email. Is there another reason it would not be appearing in the email drop down menu?

Thank you

Hi @SSheplawy,

It sounds like you’re using OJS 3.x – what specific version are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I apologize. We are using OJS 3.2.1. We did not encounter this issue with the previous version.

Hi @SSheplawy,

What version were you using before?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

We were using OJS 3.1.

Hi @SSheplawy,

What page are you trying to use the Notify feature on? (A screenshot might be helpful.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

When trying to notify the author of a particular submission that the copyedited version of their article is ready for their review. This would be under the copyediting tab in the workflow for individual submissions - the notify button available in the dropdown from the author’s name on the righthand menu. see the screen shot:

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 3.36.53 PM

When we click on “notify” and a blank email form is provided, there is the option to select a prepared email template from a drop down menu. Previously, there was always an option to use a template for “Copyediting Review Request” that would appear in this drop down menu. It has now disappeared, as you can see:

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 3.39.35 PM

However, when I look at the email templates available in the “Emails” tab of the Workflow Settings, the Copyediting Review Request email template is still there and enabled.

Hi @SSheplawy,

What is the exact subject line for that email? I don’t see Copyediting Review Request in the codebase for OJS 3.1.x.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

The exact subject line for the email is Copyediting Review Request - as in this screen shot:

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 6.19.47 PM

Is it possible that this is a custom template created by our editorial team for our journal’s use?

Thank you

Hi @SSheplawy,

That template used to exist in OJS 2.x, but has never been used in OJS 3.x. Is it possible that a modification was applied to your earlier installation to add it to the dropdown?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Hi @asmercher,

We recently upgraded from OJS 3.1 to 3.2.1-4 and one of our hosted journals is reporting this same problem with the inability to access the email templates from the dropdown menu when trying to notify about a copyediting review request. The editors can only see the custom emails they have created and not the standard OJS email templates.

Wondering if you have any insight? Thanks very much!
-Kate

Yeah we have the same problem where only the custom templates show up and not the default one you would assume would be available at the stage of the workflow. For instance, this is what I see when sending a proofreader request:

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 2.55.02 PM

The only work around is to recreate the default templates as custom ones. The same behaviour happens on three 3.3.0.6 and one 3.3.0.7 instance.

@kcawthorn @bart:

This is an older thread and likely not monitored. I’d encourage you to start a new post and refer back to this one in your new post, especially since you’re both dealing with a similar issue, but working from different versions that the one in the original post.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team