Editor interface is extremely slow or not accessible

I am running V 2.3.3 OJS. The public pages load quite normally but when in editor role, access to “Unassigned”, “In Review”, “In Editing” pages are almost impossible. It seems to connect with large number of entries on those page for these reasons: (1) I can access “in review” and “Active” when the number of entries is only 1, (2) I can access sections where the number of entries is smaller than the overall total.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Hi @Paul_Chen,

OJS v2.3.3 is extremely old – it was released in 2010. I’d strongly suggest upgrading before trying to debug what’s probably a very old issue.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I will take the advice. Just curious: is this an issue and what caused it? Thank you. @asmecher

Hi @Paul_Chen,

There have been a few performance improvements to the SQL queries that generated the editor interface, but after so many years it’s hard to recall specifically, I’m afraid.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I see. I wanted to upgrade a while ago but it seemed very difficult to go from 2.3.3 to 3.0. Could you point me to the best guides for upgrade? You have been very helpful over the years. Thanks a million.

Paul

Hi @Paul_Chen,

I’d suggest upgrading to the latest 2.x release (currently 2.4.8-3) and staying there – perhaps a few months, if it suits you – until you’re confident that the upgrade went well and everything is running fine. Then, when you’re ready, you can make the leap to 3.x (and the upgrade process has already been refined quite a bit since 3.0.0 was released).

To go from 2.3.x to 3.x will require an intermediate stop at 2.4.x anyway, and the leap from 2.3.x to 2.4.x will not be invasive to your users, so you may as well wait there a while rather than trying to figure out which of 2 upgrades done in short succession are causing you trouble.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Thanks for the tips. I do have an installation of 3.0 for another journal and so I know how wonderful 3.0 is. I will upgrade to 2.4 first and then do a test upgrade to 3.0 and see how it goes.

Paul

Hi @Paul_Chen,

Note that we’ll be releasing OJS 3.1.1 extremely soon – it almost happened today – so you might want to watch for that release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Got it. This is great. Thanks!

Hi @asmecher,

Can I skip versions between 2.3.3 and 2.4.8 when upgrading? I can’t find instruction for upgrading of such old versions.

Paul

Hi @Paul_Chen,

You can upgrade directly from 2.3.3 to 2.4.8; see docs/UPGRADE in the OJS 2.4.8 package.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I ran the upgrade script but got this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function getVersionString() on a non-object in /home2/abepubli/public_html/journals248/cache/t_compile/%%73^736^73609D70%%install.tpl.php on line 55

Also the texts are not displayed correctly probably because the language file is not loaded correctly. I will try to upload an image later.

Thanks.

Paul

ScreenHunter%2033

Hi @asmecher ,

I have been trying different ways to solve the problem but not luck. I even tried 2.4.7 but got exactly the same error. I wonder if this has to do with language locales not loading or the error causing the language files not to load. I deleted line 55 and was able to proceed to next step but texts on the page are not translated at all. Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Hi @asmecher,

So I tried upgrading to 2.3.4 just to see if I could get lucky. I got the same error but this time the texts on the page are translated properly. So the error has nothing to do with locales or vise versa.

Paul

@asmecher,

I am making some progress. There was a mistake in the config file where client_charset was set to utf8 instead of utf-8. So the error is gone but the en_US is still not loading. I can’t see the upgrade link but I figured that link out and went directly to upgrade page via link. A database error occurred but I don’t what it is because the texts are not translated. Here is the error:
##installer.installErrorsOccurred##:

##common.error.databaseError##

So I tried it on upgrading to 2.3.4 which loaded language correctly. The database error was:
Errors occurred during installation:

A database error has occurred: Duplicate entry ‘257-2135-1’ for key ‘citations_assoc_seq’

Assuming the error is the same, how do I solve this? Thank you!

Paul

Hi @Paul_Chen,

I see you’re working on the same problem on two threads – it’s better to keep the conversation from getting split into two places. I’d suggest pursuing the localization problem on the other thread. I don’t think it’s related to the citations (database) problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks. I will do that.