DOI Plugin for OJS 2.4.8 display problems

We are configuring our first use of DOI settings in OJS 2.4.8 and encountered problems with the display of page numbers in the doi. We host a number of journals and will be configuring the DOI Suffix differently. We have a few questions (below). For this test journal, the settings for the doi suffix is: %j%v%p

1. why does “%20” display before each page number in the doi generated in OJS 2? How can we remove it?

2.how can we edit the default characters in the doi generated? For instance instead of “pp.” that precedes page numbers we prefer to have only the period (no letters) precede the page numbers. We want to add a period in between the journal abbreviation and the year or volume.

1. where do we define the custom terms for the doi? For instance, we want to use %x to represent Part(i), Part(iv) for one of our journals. I cannot find a place in DOI Settings or in Setup 4.3 to define “x”

Display problems: %20 appears in front of the actual page numbers, as in DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.32473/uft2000pp.%2014%20-%2018

In the export of the XML, the doi appears correctly as in the screenshot below.

Thank you for advice!
Suzanne

DOI_Explort_XML_test

Hi @sstapleton,

The %20 means ‘space’. That is configured in the CrossReff plugin settings - there you must have ‘space’ typed in the setting string. The same as other settings. If I recall correctly that is under Public Identifier Plugins.

Best regards, Primož

Hi Primozs,

We found a work-around by entering only the beginning page number of each article into the table of contents. Then the doi suffix assigned did not include any unwanted 'space" (%20). It seems that the hyphen in the page number range was causing the %20 to appear.

We also figured out that using Roman numerals for front matter excluded them from automatic doi assignment, which is good.

I’m still interested to learn from others with experience how/where to define the custom terms for the doi using %x.

Thanks,
Suzanne

%20 is because of the space. %20 is not in any way related to the hyphen.

Best,

-Wilhelmina

I am also seeing that DOIs are still created when the page numbers are in roman numerals. Am I missing something?

Best,

-Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina,

I am working on several time-sensitive projects now, so I cannot look into this immediately. I will review our doi workflow that we developed in early October later this week. It would be great to learn that the problems we encountered then are resolved.

Suzanne

I’ve dug into this. Crossref’s requirements for DOI identifiers are listed at Constructing your identifiers – Support Center . One requirement is "Only use approved characters: “a-z”, “A-Z”, “0-9” and “-._;()/” "

OJS should normalize the DOI, when generating from article, issue, page numbers, and should remove characters that are not allowed by Crossref. The hyphen is allowed by Crossref, but the percent sign is not.

Hello, Randtake
Can you help me please with a problem with DOI?
pnehlhnkloldfdcl

Hi @dios98,

Please don’t post the same content multiple times; someone will respond to your other post.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

dios98,

Your current problem is not related to this thread about allowed characters in DOIs. With the DOIs, I believe (this is from memory and I have not just now recreated) that what had happened was: OJS will generate a DOI based on information stored in OJS about the journal article. Crossref limits what characters are allowed in a DOI. Sometimes that information stored in OJS that is used to make the DOI will have a character that is not allowed in a DOI. When a not-allowed-in-Crossref-DOI character is in OJS in one of the fields that goes to make the DOI, then OJS will normalize it and not include that not-allowed-in-Crossref-DOI character. I do not believe that there was any error message. It just had seemed odd that the pattern for automatically making the DOIs sometimes removed characters, until we looked into it and saw that this was intentional and to meet Crossref’s requirements.

Anyway, your error looks to be totally unrelated. I hope you will make progress on the other thread.

Best,

-Wilhelmina Randtke

Why the following link does not work?
10.20508/ijrer.v11i4.12115