Does upgrading override translated-with-plugin strings?

Describe the issue or problem
I run a journal which uses French (France). I have installed the Translator Plugin and translated the strings for the Citations Plugins, as they were not translated into fr_FR.
The translator works very well, and is easy to use…
However, will upgrading OJS override translations made with the Translator Plugin?

What application are you using?
OJS 3.1.1-4
Planning upgrade to 3.3.0-14

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,
Juan Ascanio

Hi @jascanio,

When you say translator plugin - do you mean the custom locale plugin or are you referring to a different plugin?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis
thanks for your reply.
It is a different plugin, at GitHub - pkp/translator: PKP Translator plugin for OMP 1.1.1+ and OJS 3.0+

This plugin allows site administrators to edit the translation files that ship with the software.
PKP Translator plugin for OMP 1.1.1+ and OJS 3.0+
=== PKP Translator Plugin
=== Version: 2.0.3
=== Author: Public Knowledge Project

Maybe PKP has substituted it with the Custom Locale plugin.

Regards,
Juan

Hi @jascanio,

I ran this by our developers who had this to say:

The Translation plugin, which has long since been retired in favour of Weblate. It modifies the translation files in the installation directly, so yes, they’ll have to take care not to destroy their changes on upgrade

Also:

It’s possible that the translations they completed using the Translation Plugin are already present in newer releases of OJS, in which case they wouldn’t need to do anything but upgrade.

So, you’ll need to take care when doing your upgrade and will also want to have a look at the newer translations available to ensure that they meet your needs.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis
thanks for your reply.
Great. I’ll do what your team recommends

Regards,
Juan

This topic was automatically closed after 16 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.