DOAJ plugin: publication date issue

Hi,
DOAJ plugin seems to take publication date from the field that denotes online publication, not the actual date (year) of the volume published. If, for example, a 2019 issue was published online on 1 January 2020, and the publication date was not changed manually at that time, the issue would display under 2020 in DOAJ, even if the issue date is 2019. Wouldn’t it be better to take the date from the volume/issue year field?

And, related to this, it would be great to have an option to change the publication date of all articles of an issue at once. There is also the publication date field for the entire issue, but that does not seem to affect publication date fields of separate articles.

OJS version: OJS 3.1.2.4

Ivo Volt

Hi @ivovolt,

Our policy of taking the article publication date won’t just affect you in your DOAJ export – it’ll also affect other exports as well (e.g. OAI-PMH, CrossRef, etc), so I’d suggest making sure that your article publication dates are accurate rather than adjusting the DOAJ code to use another source for the dates instead.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi,
Point taken, but this date field is quite annoying in other ways, too. For example, when digitizing older content and assigning doi-s to these articles: one has to change the publication date for every single article to a date in the past, because, a) CrossRef will otherwise charge as per new article; b) DOAJ will put it under a wrong year.
I don’t have a good solution to offer. Couldn’t this be modified in DOAJ api for this specific database?
Or at least think of a way to change the publication date of all articles in a volume in one step, rather than doing it with every single article. Would that be a feasible feature?
Thank you!
Ivo Volt

Hi @ivovolt,

How are you digitizing older content? The QuickSubmit plugin has a publication date field you can use to set the date, and the XML import/export tools allow a date to be specified there too. As a fallback, if you have a lot of dates to change, you could craft a SQL query and perform the change directly in the database.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I am using the QuickSubmit plugin, but as far as I can see, the default value in that publication date field is the current date, which means changing the date with every single article. It would be great to be able to set the date of the volume when creating it, and inheriting this to all the articles that are included in that volume. That way, one can still change the date of individual articles, if needed.

For articles that have “wrong” publication date fields, the procedure to change that date takes ca 10 clicks per each article (provided one has copied the date and can paste it in every time).

I’m afraid I’m not able to craft any SQL queries; I’m just the journal admin of a dozen of journals. I could ask our tech support though. Any tips for this?

Hi @ivovolt,

Where this gets updated in the database depends on your OJS version.

• For OJS 3.1.x, it’s the date_published column in the published_submissions table.
  • For OJS 3.2.x, it’s the date_published column in the publications table.

The difference with OJS 2.x is that there may be multiple entries in the publications table for a given submission_id, reflecting the fact that you may have multiple versions of a single submission.

Regards,
Alec Smecher