Do I need a separate Google analytics ID (property) for every journal?

Hi all,
In OJS 2.4.8, to install GA, do I need to do it on a per-journal basis? And if so, does that mean I need unique GA property IDs for each journal within an OJS instance? Or is it done as separate views for one property? Or some other way?
Thanks,
Gary

The configuration of Google Analytics is up to you. You can reuse the same tracking ID across multiple journals, if you want, or you can use a dedicated tracking ID for each journal and for the site context.

If you use the same tracking ID across multiple domain names, be sure to configure the Google Analytics platform so that it it tracking the domain name along with the URL path within the domain. Note that this level of configuration is done within Google Analytics, not OJS.

Hi Clinton,

That clarifies things for me.

Just one more question - how/where is the GA for the site context set up? Do you mean by “site context” one GA ID that is used across the entire site?

Thanks,
Gary

Just following up on this - is there a configuration on the admin pages somewhere to enter a google analytics id for the whole site (all journals), or would I just add the usual GA code to the (site-wide) header code?
Thanks,
Gary

When logged in as the site administrator, the most recent release of the Google Analytics plugin has an additional setting to control the site level GA account. This appears when looking at the plugin in any specific journal.

Thanks a lot,

Sorry, but I’m not fully understanding this. Let’s say I want to use one Google Analytics account to monitor the whole OJS installation (all journals). Do I still need to enter that same GA id for every journal, or is there somewhere I can enter it once?

Cheers,
Gary

In 2.x, you will need to add the Google Analytics account number into each journal, and within any one of those journals, select the option to “Enable this journal’s settings on the site homepage”.

Ah ok, thanks very much for the clarification, I appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Gary