Displaying equally contributing authors (OJS 3.3)

Hi,
I would like to display in the author list two equally contributing authors. They are identified with a * in the author list, but I have not found a way to display correctly in the author affiliations.
Has anyone had successful wayarounds?
thanks,
Lucia

Hi @lsteele,

Not a workaround, and not exactly the same as you are noting, there is a desire to be able to address this as noted in this issue:

Feel free to add additional comments there too, if you’d like.

I think there will be a desire to integrate the CASRAI standard as noted in this issue for future versions too. Like you, I too would be curious if folks have found a work arounds.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi Roger,
thank you for your reply. the contributor role integration would be a welcome addition, I agree. Not quite what I was looking for and frankly many solutions are messy. I found a rough way around so it will have to do for now!
Have a good day,
Lucia

Hello everybody,

I come back to this post from last year.

At the University of Bordeaux we host about ten journals currently on OJS 3.2.1.3 and soon on OJS 3.3.0-XX.

One of our journals asked us if it would possible in OJS, like in some others journals platforms, to highlight all the main authors of an article by displaying their email (those with a permanent email address except some exceptions like retirement departures).

This would allow equivalent recognition of scientists who have worked in a similar way for an article, instead of having to make a choice, which can sometimes lead to conflicts between authors.

If I’m right, currently in OJS, it’s only possible to highlight 1 author and displaying his email if she/he is identified as the principal contact for editorial correspondence ?

Maybe @rcgillis could tell if such feature is considered or planned in future OJS releases ?

And I have a question for @lsteele to know which way have you found to display equally contributing authors in OJS 3.3 ?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Best regards.
Helene

Hi @hcl,

I had a look through our Github issues and couldn’t really find something that is closed to what you’ve described (although, as I note above there are some similar efforts in that direction, but not quite the same) . What I would encourage you to do is start a new post here on the forum and use the “Feature Requests” category and follow the template provided. In the post describe what you’re requesting in more detail. Our developers would then have a look at that and discuss the feasibility of developing such a feature when they are available.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi hcl,
take a look at this example: https://journals.aboutscience.eu/index.php/jcb/article/view/2317
I am not sure it is the best way to display, but it allowed a certain amount of transparency.
I added this information to the biography section in the contributor (author) list:

I hope this helps you, at least for the time being.
Regards,
Lucia

Hi all,

I don’t have a better solution at the moment than what’s suggested above (thanks, @lsteele!) – but the question of differing contributions did come up in the context of CRediT support. We did some work on a CRediT plugin last year during a sprint (see https://pkp.sfu.ca/2022/07/08/helsinki-sprint-2022-notes-released-contributor-roles/) and noticed that at least one other system includes not just the role but the “size” of contribution (small/medium/large). That’s not prescribed by CRediT but would be interesting to see someone standardize as well.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team