Deleting a user from one journal in a multi journal installtion

Hi,

Is it possible to delete a user in one journal without deleting her from another in the same multi journal installation?

As far as I can see, if I “disable” og “delete” the user, I delete her from our intire OJS-site?

Kind Regards,
Louise

Hi @lthomsen,

The only function that destroys the user’s account entirely is the “Merge User” feature. I think the feature you want is the “Remove” feature – this will take away the user’s privileges on your journal without affecting other journals.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Hi Alec,
Thanks a lot - this was exactly what I wanted. I wasnt’t sure whether this would destroy the user’s account in all journals, but I see this is not the case.

have a nice day!

Regards,
Louise

Hi @asmecher,

I think this is related to this forum entry, but please let me know if you need me to make a new thread.

What if you also needed to remove multiple users from just one journal? Is there a bulk way to do this? We have a multi-journal instance and am I right to believe manually using the ‘Remove’ option one by one is the only way? We want to make sure we don’t affect their access in other journals.

We’ve used the merge method in the past to remove spam users across all journals, but never tried to remove users from just one journal in bulk.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi @scater,

There’s not currently a way to batch remove users from a single journal, but can you write a little more about your use case?

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec, it sounds like there isn’t but I’ll certainly talk about our use case:

We have a multi journal installation with 30+ different journals. The owner of Journal A has identified a list of Reviewers that they wish to be removed from Journal A only. As there are a large amount of users, is there a way for me to remove the full list of users on just Journal A without affecting the Reviewers access in other journals (e.g. Journal B, C, D etc.) on our installation? I would like to do this with an array of users rather than having to go through the UI and manually remove each user.

In the past for spam users, we’ve used the merge method identified in this forum entry: Deleting users from the OJS database - #27 by dalemoore

It’s method using an array to merge the list of users worked perfectly and I was really hoping there was a way for us to do something similar with access removal from a single journal.

No worries though if there isn’t. My answer to our Journal Owner will be to manually remove each user themselves as I really don’t want to directly edit the database for just one journal.

Thanks for you help :+1:

Cheers,
Steve

Hi @scater,

That’s something you could do through the database, if you’re handy with SQL and/or able to explore with a tool like phpMyAdmin. The reviewer assignments to a particular journal will be stored in user_user_groups, and can be listed as follows…

SELECT user_user_groups.*
FROM user_user_groups
    JOIN user_groups ON (user_groups.user_group_id = user_user_groups.user_group_id)
    JOIN journals ON (user_groups.context_id = journals.journal_id)
WHERE user_groups.role_id = 4096 AND journals.path='myJournalPath';

…replacing myJournalPath with the URL slug for your particular journal.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Thanks Alec, I will certainly look into this method. Appreciate all your help yet again :+1:

Cheers,
Steve