Delete galley files option

Hi,

I want to turn local galleys into remote galleys.

I can delete the galleys and create new ones, but since the galleys have already been published, I don’t want the galley IDs (and thus the OJS URLs) to change.

I can check “This galley will be available at a separate website.” for the existing galleys, but then the local file will not be deleted in OJS, it still exists yet is not visible anymore. I can change the galley file, but I can not delete it without deleting the whole galley.

Keeping galley files that are not used anymore and that I cannot see or access does not feel good. A button “delete file” next to “change file” would be great.

Regards,
Carola

Hi @carola,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on galleys. This is an interesting case.
What version of OJS are you working in? In 3.3 you can delete a particular galley: Chapter 15: Production and Publication - but perhaps that’s not exactly what you’re looking for?

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis,

I tested it on OJS 3.1.2 and OJS 3.2.1.

When I delete a galley, the galley ID is also deleted. Creating a new galley will lead to a different galley ID and thus the url will change. So I should not delete a galley of a published article. But there is no other way to get rid of the old files. That’s my problem.

Regards,
Carola

Hi @carola,

Hmmm… I see what you mean. Thanks for explaining further. I tested this a bit further in 3.3, and, so far as I can tell it produces the same effect. I am going to ask one of our developers @NateWr to weigh in as to whether or not this could be implemented.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @carola,

With apologies for the slow response – there are a few things you could do to resolve this…

1. (Recommended) Use the versioning toolset in OJS 3.2 and newer to create a new version with a corrected PDF. The old version will still be viewable, but will include a note to readers that there is a newer version of the file. This way citations to the old galley will remain accurate, but it’ll be clear that there is a newer version.
  2. Enter a URL path, which will be used in place of the numeric ID. You can name this however you like.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

This topic was automatically closed after 9 days. New replies are no longer allowed.