Declined manuscript still detected by Plagiarism software

I am using OJS 3.3.0-6 where declined manuscripts are still detected by plagiarism software. So when authors of these manuscripts submit their articles to another Journal, often I get request to remove their manuscript from my journal review panel. I think the RSS feed should fetch only the published articles which in turn detected by any plagiarism software. How to solve this problem? Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @kksabu,

Can you also indicate which version of the plugin that you are using?

-Roger
PKP Team

Web feed plugin version 1.0.0.0

Thanks…

Hi @kksabu,

That’s odd. What do you have as the plugins settings? This is the version that I am using in 3.3.0-6 and it only gives the ability to expose public articles:

Screen Shot 2021-05-31 at 1.08.23 PM

So, are you saying that declined articles are showing up in this feed?

And, what plugin are you using for plagiarism detection - this one: GitHub - asmecher/plagiarism: Plagiarism checker plugin for OJS 3/OMP?

-Roger
PKP Team

1 Like

feed

I am using the settings as given in the screenshot.

For plagiarism checking, I use iThenticate software and have not yet activated the OJS plugin for the same. So the manuscript files will be manually uploaded to ithenticate website for the same.

Not only the declined submissions, but also the submissions in the review stage will be detected when a revised file is subjected to plagiarism screening.

Should I need to change any settings in the Web Feed plugin?

Thanks

Hi @kksabu,

I’ve been looking into this further, and I’m not sure how the web feed plugin gets used by iThenticate with this plugin - are you sure this is the case? There was an issue with the web feed plugin, but it appears to have been resolved for 3.3: WebFeed plugin missing restriction to published content · Issue #6620 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

The “normal” way for iThenticate to get content is via the plagiarism plugin, which feeds directly to iThenticate via its API, but do you have it setup through some other means? Do you have the plagiarism plugin setup properly The plugin will send content at the point of submission, not publication - so it would not be uncommon for it to be harvesting unpublished, or declined articles.

-Roger
PKP Team

Thank you very much for your valuable comments and observations. Please note that the output of the web feed plugin (ie. RSS feed) was fetched by plagiarism software. Besides the use of ithenticate by the journal team, this was detected in other plagiarism software and reported by at least couple of authors. Ultimately, we are forced to remove these declined submissions to avoid plagiarism since these authors re-submitted their manuscripts to other journals.

I am using ithenticate software from the ithenticate website and the submission files are uploaded to this site manually to screen plagiarism. I have not yet enabled any plagiarism plugin in the OJS installation. Thanks

Can I know which type of plagiarism software plugin available other than ithenticate