Debug error: ADOConnection._Execute(INSERT INTO controlled_vocabs

Hi,
I have upgraded OJS from 3.0.1 or 3.2.1.1 recently. The site is working fine, but the error file size is increasing day by day. I have enabled the debug ON and found the following messages:

DOConnection._Execute(INSERT INTO controlled_vocabs (symbolic, assoc_type, assoc_id) VALUES (‘submissionKeyword’, 1048588, 659)) % line 1217, file: adodb.inc.php

ADOConnection.Execute(INSERT INTO controlled_vocabs (symbolic, assoc_type, assoc_id) VALUES (‘submissionKeyword’, 1048588, 659), Array[1]) % line 229, file: DAO.inc.php

DAO.update(INSERT INTO controlled_vocabs (symbolic, assoc_type, assoc_id) VALUES (?, ?, ?), Array[3], true, false) % line 99, file: ControlledVocabDAO.inc.php

ControlledVocabDAO.insertObject(Object:ControlledVocab, false) % line 60, file: ControlledVocabDAO.inc.php

ControlledVocabDAO._build(submissionKeyword, 1048588, 659) % line 31, file: SubmissionKeywordDAO.inc.php

The above block of messages were repeated 220 times and below that the OJS website has loaded correctly. Why this error messages are occurring?

Thanks
Thripthi

Hi @pattu,

The debug option should be left Off, or else you’ll get a huge amount of log information. What do you see appearing in the logs when the debug option is left Off?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

When the debug option is off, error messages appear like:

[29-Jul-2020 06:23:37 America/Boise] PHP Warning: Constants may only evaluate to scalar values in /home1/thescif5/public_html/horizonepublishing/test/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBConnection.inc.php on line 17
[29-Jul-2020 06:23:37 America/Boise] PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘?’, expecting variable (T_VARIABLE) in /home1/thescif5/public_html/horizonepublishing/test/lib/pkp/classes/notification/PKPNotificationOperationManager.inc.php on line 374

So, I have disabled Registration Notification plugin. ORCID plugin was not working as desired which has also been disables. Due to these, around 2MB of error messages accumulated per day has been avoided.

Hi @kksabu,

This error:

PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘?’, expecting variable

…indicates that you’re running a version of PHP that’s too old for that code. Double-check your PHP version against the base requirements in docs/README.md.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

PHP version changed to 7.4. I guess it was 7.3 earlier.

Hi
Maybe this section is closed. I’ using OJS version
Version: Current version: 3.2.1.1 (July 30, 2020 - 08:24 AM)
PHP version :7.2.31
Database server version 5.7.12

I found out every single when the user update the submission this page, OJS is trying to insert again some data on this table “controlled_vocabs”

So to test what was going on I deleted the key “controlled_vocab_symbolic” and every single a user reloads the page:
https://journal.iwc.int/index.php/jcrm/submissions
is keep inserting a lot of records…

Why is inserting if it suppose to only load a list of “submissions” (
My Queue, Unassigned All Actie Archives)

Hi @e-smartsolution,

The behaviour you describe is not a problem – it’s intentional – and you definitely shouldn’t delete that index!

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi thank you, I’m not sure if I fully understand your message…
What I know so far is - Testing the OJS on different environments:
1 - When the index “controlled_vocab_symbolic” is on I am receiving this message:

ADOConnection._Execute(INSERT INTO controlled_vocabs (symbolic, assoc_type, assoc_id) VALUES (‘submissionAgency’, 1048588, 43)) % line 1217, file: adodb.inc.php

I found out every single when the submission page is loading is trying to insert the same record:
I checked: SELECT COUNT(), assoc_type FROM controlled_vocabs
COUNT(
) assoc_type
240 1048588

Checking where this assoc_type is coming from, I found on this file “3.2.0_versioning.xml”

UPDATE controlled_vocabs AS cv,
submissions AS s
SET cv.assoc_type = 1048588, cv.assoc_id = s.current_publication_id
WHERE cv.assoc_type = 1048585 AND s.submission_id = cv.assoc_id

Note: We updated version to the version 3 and our journal was working fine, we have 2 issues published with DOI… J. Cetacean Res. Manage.
Cheers

Hi @e-smartsolution,

OJS intentionally uses an index collision to check whether a value is already created there. If there is, it uses it; if there’s not, it creates one. It seems that some database servers are now starting to complain about this where they previously did not; you can change the behaviour to avoid this by applying this change: Avoid index collisions if possible · pkp/pkp-lib@b193290 · GitHub
See also: DB Error after upgrading to OJS 3.2.1.1 - #5 by Tarcisio_Pereira

Regards,
Alec Smecher

1 Like

Thank you @asmecher, I believe the next issue is related to what I have ready reported:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 ()
pkp.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:316 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘trigger’ of undefined
at b.a.pkp.controllers.modal.ModalHandler.modalOpen (pkp.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:316)
at o.ajaxErrorCallback (build.js?v=3.2.1.1:6)
at Object.error (build.js?v=3.2.1.1:6)
at u (jquery.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:2)
at Object.fireWith [as rejectWith] (jquery.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:2)
at k (jquery.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:2)
at XMLHttpRequest. (jquery.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:2)
pkp.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:315 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘addClass’ of undefined
at pkp.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:315
pkp.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:315 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property ‘focus’ of undefined
at pkp.min.js?v=3.2.1.1:315

I have double-checked it, this error happens with submission with status 4(archives tab)

https://journal.iwc.int/index.php/jcrm/api/v1/_submissions?status=1 → OK, Not error
https://journal.iwc.int/index.php/jcrm/api/v1/_submissions?status=2 → Ok, not error

https://journal.iwc.int/index.php/jcrm/api/v1/_submissions?status=4 → Is not working

Slim Application Error
A website error has occurred. Sorry for the temporary inconvenience.

Thank you very much your support!

Cheers

Hello @asmecher
I believe our journal(submission) is working after update this…

you can change the behaviour to avoid this by applying this change: Avoid index collisions if possible · pkp/pkp-lib@b193290 · GitHub

Cheers