Deactivated sections appearing "Submissions" page

Describe the issue or problem
When marking a journal section as “inactive”, the information about the section is still being shown on the “Submissions” page on the journal webpage. As a user I would assume that the information is removed from the website when deactivating a section.

Steps I took leading up to the issue

1. Mark section as inactive.
  2. Go to Submissions page on the journal webpage.
  3. Section is still there.

What application are you using?
OJS 3.3.0-8

1 Like

HI
Clear your system browser cache and magazine cache in the Administration section
I hope that helps

Thank you for the suggestion! I tried clearing both data and template cache in our system, as well as my browser cache, but still the same problem.

1 Like

I don’t see any logic in 3.3 or 3.4 which would exclude the disabled sections. Specifically,

Section data populated:

Section data rendered:

Section data populated:

Section data captured for rendering:

To prevent needing to handle this logic in each theme, the appropriate place to filter these disabled sections is pages/about/AboutContextHandler.inc.php.

Many thanks for looking into this! So we can modify this for our own installation, but the “inactive” checkbox is not intended to serve this purpose, is that correct? I guess I’m confused about what it does. Is it only supposed to deactivate submissions to the section?

The inactive checkbox is intended to prevent new submissions to a section. In 3.3 (and presumably 3.4) this does prevent the new submissions from the Author dashboard. The submissions page on the frontend theme was apparently missed in this functionality.

I’ve asked @rickhoover to file an issue on this bug and to draft fixes for 3.3 and 3.4.

1 Like