Deactivate form fields in "View Metadata"?

Hi,

currently, we are having a submission period. One user submitted an article and noticed that she set a wrong title. I pointed her to the the “View Metadata” dialoge but she can’t change the fields although the form fields are active (except the section drop-down, which is deactivated, hence not clickable and grey background.
Is it intended that those fields appear as editable although they are not? Of course, as section editor I can change the fields but there the link to that dialoge is called “Metadata” instead of “View Metadata” - I guess each link triggers a different hook for that dialoge?

Best,
Andreas

1 Like

Hi @henkel,

Yes, you are right – the fields seem to be read-only for the authors. It used to be, that at some point in the workflow, the authors shouldn’t be able to change the metadata any more, but this is currently happening immediately after the submission, I believe. I am not sure how is it currently meant to be – @asmecher, you will probably know? :slight_smile:

Thanks!
Bozana

Hi @henkel,

For OJS 2.4.x, metadata can be edited according to the following policies:

• Editors and assigned Section Editors can always edit.
  • Copyeditors can edit once they’ve been assigned and their copyediting phase is active, except if the submission is published.
  • Authors can edit either during the submission process, or during their part of the copyediting phase, except if the submission is published.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

@asmecher, and in OJS 3.0? :slight_smile: The same? Somehow authors cannot edit them, just after submitting it. Is this then a bug?

Hi @bozana/all,

In OJS 3.0, Editors (Managers) and Section Editors are permitted to edit; I wouldn’t call this diversion from OJS 2.x’s policies a bug per se, just a difference, but if we’re being too restrictive feedback is definitely welcome.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Ah, OK, that explains why the author above cannot edit it :slight_smile:

Hi @asmecher,
I wouldn’t call it too restrictive but it seems irritating - at least to some of our users - that the form fields are active but no changes can be applied. I would expect a <input … disabled> as well if there is a form field I’m not supposed to edit.
I had a look at the controllers/modals/submissionMetadata but couldn’t find where to change the appearance of the form fields.
Best,
Andreas Henkel

Hi @henkel,

We’ve declared the fields readonly but not disabled. With disabled fields, it’s not possible e.g. to scroll to the end to read long content – you can’t interact with the field at all. (@NateWr probably has much better ideas for improvement here than I could come up with.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

I get your point. But I’m specifically talking about ‘title’ and ‘subtitle’ in the Metadata Modal. I wouldn’t expect something to scroll there but maybe that’s just my lack of experience in publishing.
I was wondering about the disabling of those field since the “Genre”-Dropdown is disabled.

Best,
Andreas

In going through the metadata modal, I was able to add in my additional fields, what I wanted to do was control the readonly controls on a more granular level. Right now, the submission fields are open for editing; but those fields are readonly for reviewers.
In our site, I would like to be able to swap that, so that submitter can see those fields, but cannot edit them; and the reviewer role could populate / edit those metadata fields where they are currently readonly.
I am not following with PHP script has a direct bearing on the readonly settings so that I could change the rules. I’ve been looking into SubmissionMetadataHandler.inc.php; PKPSubmissionInformationCenterHandler.inc.php; and PKPReviewerSubmissionInformationCenterHandler.inc.php for likely spots where the code would make this change.

Is this the right place to look? Is there any more granular way to control the readonly settings?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

Hi @dewolfe001,

The best way to alter aspects of an existing template is probably to use a Smarty postfilter to pick through and rewrite the generated HTML before it’s displayed to the user. This can be a little tricky but unfortunately we haven’t been able to come up with a better way that coexists with template-based markup generation.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Yes I was wondering how to include in the Metadata author affiliation, as before OJS3 the editor was able to see the affiliation of the author for the submission but now I cannot discover this info?

Hi @vebaev,

Would you mind posting your question with a little more detail as a new topic? This one is getting pretty cluttered.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher