CrossRef XML Export Plugin "not working" or "working"

Hi there; I’m trying to submit dois through OJS 3. I check the articles to export, check the xml, and press “Submit”. A “Success” message is returned. However, the xml doesn’t seem to get to CrossRef. Information: I did give it 24 hours…, does anyone know if this queue for submissions takes longer than that at CrossRef. Also, though it seems to be a non-issue, when I look at the xml in Oxygen the xml schema displays as an error, i.e. the

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>. In Oxygen, when I backspace and re-enter "?xml" the error disappears. I don't think this has anything to do with anything -- I just noticed it. My submission, as noted above, returns "Success".

I’m hoping I’m just missing something here… but if anyone has been successful and there’s a step I’ve lost I would be thankful for your indulgence.

Cheers,
DM

Hi there! The current plugin for 2.4.x and 3.x runs on an older Crossref API that sometimes doesn’t update submission status after successful registration. This is frustrating for a variety of reasons. My recommendation is to check to see if any of these DOIs have resolved by visiting them as you would if they were linked (ie, https://doi.org/prefix/suffix). It’s pretty common for DOIs to show their status as “submitted” in the crossref plugin but still have successfully registered.

If they aren’t currently registered, it’s possible that one of the submissions themselves was problematic. You can export a whole issue at once by downloading the XML and parsing it using Crossref’s parsing tools to see if you get any errors. crossref.org : metadata quality check

We’re working on releasing a new Crossref plugin for 3.1.2 that uses a different crossref API and ought to resolve these issues for folks. In the meantime, the best way to check is by checking the links and via XML deposit to the Crossref backend (https://doi.crossref.org)

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Cheers,
Mike

Thanks. That helps. For what we’re doing I have a suspicion the most efficient way around this, at this time, is to download from OJS, parse the xml, then upload directly into CrossRef.