Crossref autodeposits and cron jobs

Hello PKP community,

We are running into an issue with our automatic Crossref deposits in OJS 3.1.2 which are set up with a cron job. We’re noticing that the automatic deposit seem to fail if there is one article in the multi-journal instance that has a deposit error, e.g. due to a metadata issue, which we are then be able to find once we set the cron job to send emails.

Is this the expected behaviour? And if so, is the recommended best practice to set the cron job to email errors to you, or is there a better workflow for this to find these metadata errors in your deposits?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Any insights anyone has into the Crossref deposits and cron would be very much appreciated!

Hi @kaitlin,

It’s my understanding that the Crossref depositing can run into issues like this and that they need to be resolved manually. I think the Tools > Import/Export > Crossref area should provide a UI that identifies errors so that they can be resolved.

There’s work going on now to make it easier for journal managers to manage deposits and identify errors. You can follow progress on that here: CrossRef and DOI UI/UX quality of life improvements · Issue #6062 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub.

cc @AhemNason because he may have some experience with this.

Hi @NateWr,

Thanks for following up. The ability to more easily find errors sounds great. I think our challenge is that at the admin level when you are managing multiple journals in one instance, it’s hard to tell which journal or journals have the errors that seem to prevent the whole batch from depositing when the cron job runs. But maybe we can configure the cron jobs in a more effective way that will tell us when errors are happening at the instance level.

Ah, I see. I don’t think that there are currently any plans to build a site-wide UI for locating errors across all journals. One thing that would be nice to build into the scheduled task is an email alert when a deposit has failed. Ideally, scheduled tasks should notify someone when they can’t be completed.