Copies of review reminders to track directors

I know that you are busy with OJS. Thanks for the great work!

I am using OCS 2.3.6

I would like to cc or bcc track directors on automatic review reminders sent to reviewers. Some time ago we modified the submission acknowledgment emails to authors to do this. I cannot track that change but it is working.

This would be a big help to keep our submissions moving through the review process. Follow up has been an issue with over 150 submissions in a three month review window.

Can someone lead me to the file where the cc or bcc can be set for track directors for the automatic reminders. There are two reminder templates the normal (??) and the oneclick one.

Thanks for help from anyone.

Rick

Hi @RickMath,

Are you using the one-click access URLs? If so, the CC and BCC fields are intentionally disabled for those – if the track director follows that link it won’t be usable by the reviewer.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thanks Alec

I actually removed the direct link in the body of the email to the submission in both the prepared emails and changed it to the conference site URL home page. I was not sure which reminder would be used in the scheduled task so I changed it in both.

Hopefully you can lead me to the changes needed for this.

Thanks for your help as riding herd on my track directors and reviewers will be reduced.

Rick

Hi @RickMath,

The CC and BCC fields are disabled by calls to $email->setAddressFieldsEnabled(false); in classes/submission/trackDirector/TrackDirectorAction.inc.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks so much Alec. I commented out the lines. I also verified that a link directly to the submission was not in the email. Will test when my scheduled tasks run again tonight.

Is there a place to also do this in OJS 3.1.0.1? This would be for Section Editors. I had posted this in another thread.

This will be a GREAT help in managing our submissions.

Thanks again!!!

Rick

Hi @RickMath,

OJS 3.x doesn’t yet have CC and BCC fields in the email forms, and that’s filed for consideration over here: Add recipient control on email forms · Issue #743 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Regards,
Alec Smecher

OK Thanks

I will look forward to this being added.

After commenting out the suggested line the test did not send to the Track Director. I wonder since I am the Track Director/Conference Manager and also the submitting author of the paper if this was the cause. Should I use another test account to try this again?

Thanks for sticking with me on this.

Rick

I tested another submission from an account that was not the track director. An email copy was not sent to the track director.

Is there something else that I need to change in the TrackDirectorAction.inc.php file?

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Hi @RickMath,

If you have access to your server’s mail delivery log, that’ll help in tracking down the problem – it could be that OCS didn’t ask to copy the track director, but it could also be that OCS did request this delivery but one of the mail servers involved dropped or spam-boxed the message.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec

I checked the email log. It show emails sent to the reviewer but none sent to the track director. I did check several days where the email was repeated. I also checked the junk folders for the track director account which is on the same server as the OCS system. Another note is that to test this I have the cron job to run scheduled tasks everyday and have removed the check of the notified date not equal null in the file that checks the status of the reviews.

Is there anything else that I can check.

Thanks again

Rick

I checked one more email from the OCS system to the track director. This was the submission acknowledgement copy when the test submission was made. This email worked fine and was received normally.

I hope this helps to diagnose the issue.

Thanks

Rick