Change language of countries in register page

The country on my register page was Chinese but my primary language is English

Hi @xabcdeianyi and welcome to the forum! Could you provide more details on your issue?

Screen Shot 2020-12-31 at 02.05.18

i had change all my language into en

Hi @xabcdeianyi,

Can you clarify where you needed to change the languages into English? I’d like to track this down to determine whether it’s a misconfiguration or a bug.

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

https://www.gerontechnologyojs.org/OJS/index.php/files/user/register

Hi @xabcdeianyi,

It’s likely that your server doesn’t have the English language country list (ISO3166) enabled and generated. We use the php-isocodes library to provide country lists (and languages and a few others), and that library in turn uses PHP’s dgettext function to get the translated country name. If the language isn’t translated into the language you expect, it’s probably because dgettext couldn’t resolve the language-specific content it was asked to find.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thank you for the great explanations. It seems to be the problem. Unfortunately, I am really a rookie about this and would you please kindly tell me more details and maybe step by step that how I can reset my server or the system to make it happen? I am looking forward to your reply.

Hi @xabcdeianyi,

You will probably need to work with your host to get the support added to your server. The quickest way to demonstrate the problem will be to follow these steps on your server:

1. In an empty directory, use Composer to install the php-isocodes library version 3.0.6 (the version OJS uses):
    composer require sokil/php-isocodes 3.0.6

2. Create a test script called e.g. test.php with the following contents (based on the php-isocodes sample code):
    <?php
    // Load php-isocodes library
    require_once('vendor/autoload.php');

// Set the current locale
    putenv('LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8');
    putenv('LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8');
    setlocale(LC_ALL, 'en_US.UTF-8');

// Show the localized name for CA (Canada)
    $isoCodes = new \Sokil\IsoCodes\IsoCodesFactory();
    echo $isoCodes->getCountries()->getByAlpha2('CA')->getLocalName() . "\n";

3. Run the script:
    php test.php

The result should be Canada. You can change the locale from en_US (American English) to something else (e.g. ar_IQ for Arabic) and if the system supports it you will see the localized equivalent instead (كندا).

If we have understood the problem, you will get the Chinese equivalent for “Canada”, when it should be in English. If that’s correct, you can show this to your host and they’ll be able to correct the problem by installing support for the en_US locale (UTF-8 encoding).

Regards,
Alec Smecher