Certain Editors receive blank page on click submissions in their dashboard

I have an update on things to share on our issues with the submissions page. Journal team members are still encountering the bug, which prevents specific logged in editors from seeing their own /submissions endpoint, even as the items in the workflow remain accessible invididually by url. They are met with a blank page instead. I can cite a specific user and journal where we can replicate the error internally.

After reviewing the recent error.log, I updated some plugins that were causing assorted issues for specific journals. But site-wide I see some things that stand out and I wanted to highlight the ones related to inaccessibility of the submissions page, so for instance:

[Thu Nov 09 14:48:03.727841 2023] [php:notice] [pid 80505] [client 94.11.208.164:0] Exception: Plugin lensGalleyBits expected to inherit from LensGalleyBitsPlugin, actual type NULL in /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php:203\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php(219): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::_instantiatePlugin()\n#1 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php(112): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::_loadFromDatabase()\n#2 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.php(155): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::loadCategory()\n#3 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.php(387): PKP\\core\\Dispatcher->dispatch()\n#4 /var/www/ojs/index.php(21): PKP\\core\\PKPApplication->execute()\n#5 {main}, referer: https://journal.equinoxpub.com/JMBS/submissions

and

9528  [Thu Nov 09 15:20:09.172651 2023] [php:notice] [pid 81474] [client 80.208.65.144:0] Exception: Plugin allowedUploads expected to inherit from AllowedUploadsPlugin, actual type NULL in /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php:203\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php(219): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::_instantiatePlugin()\n#1 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php(112): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::_loadFromDatabase()\n#2 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.php(155): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::loadCategory()\n#3 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.php(387): PKP\\core\\Dispatcher->dispatch()\n#4 /var/www/ojs/index.php(21): PKP\\core\\PKPApplication->execute()\n#5 {main}, referer: https://journal.equinoxpub.com/JCSR/submissions

Similar errors sometimes appear in user workflow endpoints:

9541  [Thu Nov 09 15:20:27.677533 2023] [php:notice] [pid 81511] [client 80.208.65.144:0] Exception: Plugin allowedUploads expected to inherit from AllowedUploadsPlugin, actual type NULL in /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php:203\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php(219): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::_instantiatePlugin()\n#1 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php(112): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::_loadFromDatabase()\n#2 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.php(155): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::loadCategory()\n#3 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.php(387): PKP\\core\\Dispatcher->dispatch()\n#4 /var/www/ojs/index.php(21): PKP\\core\\PKPApplication->execute()\n#5 {main}, referer: https://journal.equinoxpub.com/JCSR/workflow/index/27225/1

Some have no referrers:

[Thu Nov 09 18:06:47.464247 2023] [php:notice] [pid 87014] [client 66.249.73.129:0] Exception: Plugin allowedUploads expected to inherit from AllowedUploadsPlugin, actual type NULL in /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php:203\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php(219): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::_instantiatePlugin()\n#1 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/plugins/PluginRegistry.php(112): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::_loadFromDatabase()\n#2 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.php(155): PKP\\plugins\\PluginRegistry::loadCategory()\n#3 /var/www/ojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.php(387): PKP\\core\\Dispatcher->dispatch()\n#4 /var/www/ojs/index.php(21): PKP\\core\\PKPApplication->execute()\n#5 {main}

I know that allowedUploads is an independent plugin. It’s possible the site could have used this previously. I’ll check with others that have been here longer. I can say that it does not appear in the current plugin gallery for the site or any journal that I’ve checked thusfar. Following this suggestion, I’ll head to our database to see if I can find what’s leftover and causing this ruckus.

And apologies to @rcgillis, whom I accidentally dm’d instead of posting here.