Cannot view or send mail to user

Hi,
I run an OJS 3.1.1-4.
There is an editor + journal manager that cannot act on some users, i.e, she cannot send an e-mail to these, view details, nor edit details, etc.
It only happens to her when trying to act on some five of her users.
She gets the following message:

You do not have sufficient permissions to administer this user. In order to administer a user, you must either be site administrator, or administer all contexts that this user is enrolled in.

Any idea?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Regards,
Juan

Have you check error_log ?

Hi @trisma,
Thanks for your reply.
I see this entry in the error log:

// Found an assignment: disqualified.

I see that this happens when a user is enrolled in more than one journal.

I can`t understand why if I am journal manager and journal editor of say, Journal A, I can´t send an e-mail from within my Journal A’s user lists to this user. I can´t see his/her details either, or access any of the options (e-mail, edit user, disable and so on). I always get the error

You do not have sufficient permissions to administer this user. In order to administer a user, you must either be site administrator, or administer all contexts that this user is enrolled in.

Is this something I need to configure somewhere?

I would deeply appreciate any help on this issue.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Regards,
Juan

Journal editor and administrator are different roles. if someone is journal editor that does not mean that he/she can do administrators’ activities.

Hi @vvucic
I hence undersantd that a journal editor cannot mail his/her users from within OJS if they are enroled in more than one journal. Is that it?

Sending mails should not have connection to that. The idea is that when you are editor you do not have access to some functions and as administrator your interface is different. There must be user that is created during installation process that is admin. That user should do administration things and editor is something different. I have had that issue because in journal people believed that if someone is editor, manager etc. that it is equal administrator.
Send mail is one thing and edit user is different thing. Please try to focus more on those details.

Hi @vvucic
Ok, I understand what you mean. But
a) how does a Journal Editor or Journal Manager contact an author or reviewer within OJS, but out of the editorial workflow
b) how does a Journal Editor or Journal Manager find out what an author’s telephone number or affiliation is, for example?

Both Journal Editor and Journal Manager roles can send mails if a given user is only enrolled in the same journal. But non of these roles can do that if the user is enrolled in an additional journal

I am probably configuring something wrong in my OJS

Any help?

Regards,
Juan

Please clarify the following:

1. You complained that you received error:
    Administering user is not the same as sending mail to user.
    if you want to edit, administer user than you have to be administrator. Does that message occurs when you want to send mail or when you want to change something in that user?
    If you want to see details of your user you can login as that user by clicking on blue triangle on left side and you will see option below Login As. You login as that user and see profile and check affiliation etc.
    What I always do is that with hosting company open webmail with address editorjournal…@mydomain
    and use Webmail for other e-mail communication

Hi @vvucic,
Thanks for your reply.

It happens either way. When you want to send an e-mail or when you want to edit, view, etc.

I cannot do that, as I get the same error message
I cannot use any of the options involving users that are enrolled in more than one journal

Regards,
Juan

Can you do that for all users that exist only in one journal? Can you check php_error log?

Hi @vvucic
Thanks for your reply

Yes, I can do that when the user exists only in one journal.

Regards
Juan

I think that in this case @asmecher can give good suggestion what to do.

Hi @jascanio,

I agree with you that the current restriction, which requires you to be either Site Administrator or Journal Manager for all the journals a user is active in, is too onerous for the case where the manager just wants to send an email. I’ve filed this for improvement here:

https://github.com/pkp/pkp-lib/issues/4388

Watch for a patch to appear shortly.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi, @asmecher,
Thanks for your reply and for adding this to the OJS to-dos.
Regards,
Juan Ascanio