Canceling an already accepted review request (OJS 3.0.2)

Hi,

In some situations a reviewer cancels the review even after accepting it. At the moment there is no way how to deal with this in OJS3, or is there? It would be nice to have a “decline” button available for the editor, which would be available also after the reviewer has accepted the review request.

This is connected to the issue here, which is not resolved yet:

Hi @ajnyga,

Thanks, I’ve filed that in github: Improve editor control over reviews · Issue #2508 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

1 Like

Hi @asmecher

We have that same problem. If there is a Reviewer that accepts our invitation but does not send the review, we can’t unassign him/her. Even if we add other Reviewers who indeed send the review (making the double-blind review complete), we keep seeing “A review is overdue” in our “Submission” > “My Queue” due to that single person. And there are a lot of people who, at first, accept the invitation but then they never send the review.

Will this be resolved with some patch in the near future? (I know it is already listed as an issue, I’m just asking if you know when will it be resolved)

Best regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

As Editor, you should be able to hit “Review Details” on that reviewer, then record a “See Comments” recommendation. That will clear the notification for now. Longer term, there’s a github issue open for improvements to editor control over reviews. Watch that for status updates.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I have a similar problem. In 2.4.8 there was an item in the review_assignments table to set cancelled. I was able to alter those so year old reviews were not reminded automatically.

We are now using 3.1.0.1 and I do not see a cancelled item in the review_assignments table. There is a declined item. If I set this to 1 the review shows up as declined in the submission page. I wonder if this is a good temporary fix until we have a patch in 3.1.0.1

When I set the scheduled tasks to on to remind a reviewer, I do not want the system to send to very old requests. Related to this once an automatic reminder is sent is it sent again if no response?

Thanks

Rick

Hi @RickMath,

Can you clarify what you mean when you say “set this to 1”?

Thanks,
Alec Smecher

In the review_assignments table there is an item named declined. It is #14 in the structure. The default value is 0. I reset it to 1 for a reviewer_id and a review_id and that reviewed now was shown as declined.

Thanks Alec!

It would be great to get this fixed. This is one of two key issues for us at the moment. The other - being unable to ask the authors to edit/update the metadata during review and copyedit is a very big problem.

this is fixed for OJS 3.2.

1 Like