Can OJS 3 achieve these functionalities?

1. Has its own arXiv service so that submitted papers become instantly public.

2. Make peer review comments and author responses and editorial correspondence public with the reviewers will remain anonymous.The rest of the community can comment on comments/responses/correspondence, etc after the paper is published.

Hello @wenbin,

I don’t think your requests are available. arXiv is probably being developed or thought of, and soon to be available. However, I have a few questions:

1. What do you mean by “instantly public”? Published articles are instantly public (unless journal is setup for not being public, open access or has some use of registration requirement to access). arXiv, as far as I know, is an archive/repository… Another tool to provide storage/preservation/archival rules for content.

2. Why would you want to allow public comments on the correspondence between editors, reviewers and authors? Maybe making them public might seem a good idea for editorial process transparency, but commenting seems a bit overdoing it, as well as opening a door for unnecessary/unwanted discussions (spam, etc)

Instantly public means the submitted papers before review are made available to the public. In other words, each journal has its own arXiv. The authors can decided when to send the papers uploaded to the Journal’s arXiv for peer review. Are you saying such a capability already available in OJS?

We can remove the commenting part on the correspondence before publication. It will be nice to allow the community to continue commenting on a paper afer it has been accepted and published.

There are plans for number 1, basically preprints: see Implement megajournal support · Issue #382 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub (my suggestion here Preprints in OJS3)

Number 2 you could achieve fairly easily with a plugin. This is a related plugin I made a while ago which shows the reviewer names. GitHub - ajnyga/showReviewers: OJS3 plugin for showing reviewer names for published articles (note that this is a proof on concept and not a refined plugin to use in production)
You could edit the plugin to make it show the reviews instead of the reviewer names.

For public commenting there is GitHub - ajnyga/disqus: Disqus plugin for OJS/OPS/OMP 3.2+ and GitHub - asmecher/hypothesis: A Hypothes.is integration plugin for OJS

Great that I saw your guys have already worked on this. So these functionalities can be achieved using OJS now with some editing of some plugins?

Number 1 would require a lot of work if you do it as a plugin, but it is not impossible. I do not know what the schedule is for issue 382 in Github and note that preprints are not necessarily part of it. That is just my suggestion. (edit: I do have this plugin GitHub - ajnyga/forthcoming: OJS3 plugin for showing forthcoming articles that makes it possible to publish ahead of print articles in OJS. Not the same thing as preprints though)

Number 2 is fairly easy to achieve just by editing the plugin I linked, but of course it requires some knowledge of the system and OJS plugins.

Thanks a lot for your clarification. Are both issues on the roadmap of OJS? How do I submit such requests?

@asmecher can answer that.

Hi @wenbin,

Has its own arXiv service so that submitted papers become instantly public.

We refer to this internally as continuous publication. At the moment, you can accomplish this by creating an issue for current articles and continuing to schedule new articles against it. See e.g. this issue for some future refinements.

Make peer review comments and author responses and editorial correspondence public with the reviewers will remain anonymous.The rest of the community can comment on comments/responses/correspondence, etc after the paper is published.

Currently there is nothing built into OJS to accomplish this, but we do work with a journal that has exposed this kind of information with a few small modifications and a custom theme.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team