Can a large SQL database lead to slow performance? Why is article_search_object_keywords so large?

I’m trying to address some slow website performance, in particular SQL queries seem slow:
Taking a look at the database:

After about 4 years of running, I see
article_search_object_keywords is 1.4 gigabytes

How can I delete or disable this on 2.3.4.0?

I don’t have any need for full text searches.

(sorry for the verbose title, I couldn’t submit the question with a shorter one)

Hi @internetisafunplace,

That table is only used in the full-text search, and its size shouldn’t have any effect on performance outside of searching in the public interface (and perhaps publishing new content, when the new content needs to be indexed). Are there specific areas where you’re experiencing slowdowns?

There have been some performance improvements since OJS 2.3.4, so I’d suggest considering an upgrade in case that solves the problem. It’s always a good idea to keep up to date.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I’m wondering if its Okay to clear the content of the database to reduce size while transfering the database? Do any other databases refer to these items?

Hi @internetisafunplace,

Yes, you can truncate article_search_keyword_list, article_search_object_keywords, and article_search_objects if you don’t want to transfer the search index. You can re-create these tables using tools/rebuildSearchIndex.php.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team