By mistake I deleted the sections and now all the article have been deleted

I was planning to change the sections, hence i deleted the sections. I didnt know that the articles will be deleted as well. Is there anything I can do to retrieve all the deleted metadata? Please help

Hi @varshilmehta,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this in your posts.)

The best solution would be to restore from a recent back-up, but if that’s not available, I may be able to suggest a resolution.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

This could be related: [OJS] OJS 3.0.2. Removing a section makes all submissions connected to that section disappear · Issue #2415 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub
edit: so basically the articles are not deleted. OJS just does not show them anymore. But if this is a OJS2 issue, then that is probably a different story.

It is 3.0.1. Kindly do let me know what i am supposed to do.

Yes. Same issue. Any tips on what should i do?

Hi @varshilmehta,

You’ll need to assign your articles to a section. You can use the following database query to determine which articles are missing sections:

SELECT submission_id FROM submissions LEFT JOIN sections ON (submissions.section_id = sections.section_id) WHERE sections.section_id IS NULL;

Now update the section ID for each to another (existing) section:

UPDATE submissions SET section_id=123 WHERE submission_id=234;

…where your new section ID is 123 and the submission ID is 234.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

It worked. Thanks. However, now I am getting a new problem : Articles are getting in to wrong sections

i’ve same case with it, buth i don’t have any backup
Kindly do let me know what i am supposed to do. :sleepy::sleepy::cry:

Hi @IJoLTe_University_of,

Which software application of PKP’s are you using, and what version? (Please include this in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

It’s 3.0.1
Need your help, what should I do to fix it in easy way

I’d suggest upgrading to a newer release of OJS to avoid having this happen again.

In the meantime, you can correct this by setting the section_id column of your submissions table to one of the values in the sections table wherever it’s currently NULL. You can use a tool like phpMyAdmin if you’re not familiar with MySQL.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I don’t understand to use phpMyAdmin and MySQL.
Can you help me? I’ll send General Manager username and fasword to you.
Please need your help. No one in our community can hadle this problems.

I’m afraid I can’t provide that level of support here. Do you have phpMyAdmin installed?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

No, I don’t have it’s. And also don’t understand to use it’s.

I’m afraid you’ll need to find someone who knows a little bit about MySQL; you might also be able to find some helpful resources on Stackoverflow.com or something similar. Your question is more about server administration than about OJS – your host may provide MySQL access in a number of ways, e.g. via CPanel, but they’ll know the details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Well, which server service do you use? If you are using a shared service, most of them have phpMyAdmin installed in the database section.