Books published by Open Monograph Press still do not appear in Google Scholar. what solution do you give me?

Dear friends, I need your help in this matter. what does it depend on if my books appear in google scholar?

Hello @Angel_Martinez_Vasq1,

Google Scholar works best with indexing OJS, we have a disclaimer on our documentation that it is geared largely toward OJS, and that use of Google Scholar with OMP : Google Scholar Guide

Google Scholar does not index OMP in the same manner it does OJS, this issue is, however, on PKP’s radar: OMP Chapter - Googlescholar support · Issue #7003 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub. But if others in the community have had success with this, I’d be interested to hear.

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi Roger,

from the linked github issue I understand there is a problem with the way Google Scholar differentiates (or fails to be able to differentiate) between monographs and edited volumes or rather the chapters therein. I also understand that this is being worked on, which is great!

However, in this reply, @ajnyga specifically says “I have understood that indexing monographs is working already […]”. This is not true for us. The GS indexing plugin has consistently not been working for our presses, no matter if it’s edited volumes or monographs - none of our publications are showing up in GS.

Has it actually been confirmed that the plugin works for monographs?

For the record, we’re running OMP at 3.3.0.8

Thanks!
Pia

Hi @piapio,

I did a cursory search of OMP instances and I found a few examples whereby entire edited volumes were indexed in OMP, but not individual chapters from said monographs. @ajnyga: can you speak to your experience on this: in the case of your monographs, are you seeing the individual chapters indexed vs. whole monographs?

Hard to say if this is an issue on Google Scholar indexing side vs. the plugin … :thinking:

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis,

just for clarification purposes; you seem to be using the terms “edited volume” and “monograph” interchangeably, but I don’t/didn’t mean to. Although a monograph might technically have chapters, on OMP it is a book contained entirely within a single (PDF) file, whereas edited volumes have separate downloadable chapter PDFs.

I took ajnyga’s comment on github to mean that monographs, which don’t have chapter PDFs or data about chapters in their metadata that might confuse Google Scholar, are getting picked up by the plugin/GS as they should and that the problem lies solely with edited volumes. And so I wanted to ask if that is the general consensus, because that has not been our experience so far - none of our stuff is getting picked up.

Basically, to me it sounds like our monographs should be making it into GS already, which I would love for them to do. The plugin doesn’t require any more setup other than activating it, and it is activated, so I’m unsure if there is something we could do on our side to get it to at least pick up our monographs.

Hope that made my question a little clearer :wink:
Pia

Hi @piapio,

Thanks for clarifying. From what I’ve seen, I could only see an instance of a full book - not the individual chapters indexed by GS.

As for things you could do to have your monographs picked up by GS, its possible that this list of troubleshooting tips might help: https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/google-scholar/en/#troubleshooting-for-site-administrators

Granted, this is geared towards OJS and not everything will apply to OMP.

I will try to check with some of our other team members who may have more knowledge about whether or not OMP books and/or chapters are getting picked up by GS. I’ll get back to you when I hear back …

-Roger
PKP Team

Hi @piapio,

I spoke with one of my colleagues, and here is an instance of an OMP instance whereby chapters are being indexed by GS: Google Scholar

So, it appears as though it is feasible for GS to index individual chapters.

-Roger
PKP Team

Yes, the discussion there was on how to make GS index the articles inside an edited volume. At the time of writing I had no own experience on it, just what I had heard and learned from other OMP users and devs.

The problem according to Google is that the url structure does not show whether the book is a monograph or an edited volume. They would like to see this that data added to the url itself so that they know it before the indexing. For some reason having that data as metadata on the landing page is not enough. But like @rcgillis mentions above, there are cases where the chapters are getting indexed anyway.

@Dulip_Withanage maybe you could share your experiences on getting OMP books indexed to GS?

1 Like