Blank submissions tab and other submission/review problems

Hi PKP team,

We’re currently running into an issue on an OJS (3.0.2) instance. It began when we updated our server to PHP 7.1, so it may be related to that. I’ve tried updating OJS to the latest version on my local machine, but the issue persists.

When we go to Settings > Workflow > Submissions, the tab is blank (others are loading fine). Many reviewers are seeing blank pages when they go into a review.

In the error log on my local instance, I can see the following error:

[12-Dec-2017 11:00:48 America/Toronto] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Cannot return string offsets by reference in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ojs-queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php:67
Stack trace:
#0 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ojs-queens/lib/pkp/classes/user/PKPUser.inc.php(67): DataObject->getLocalizedData('signature')
#1 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ojs-queens/lib/pkp/classes/mail/MailTemplate.inc.php(84): PKPUser->getLocalizedSignature()
#2 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ojs-queens/lib/pkp/controllers/tab/settings/submissionStage/form/SubmissionStageForm.inc.php(68): MailTemplate->__construct('SUBMISSION_ACK')
#3 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ojs-queens/lib/pkp/classes/controllers/tab/settings/SettingsTabHandler.inc.php(110): SubmissionStageForm->fetch(Object(Request))
#4 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ojs-queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRouter.inc.php(372): SettingsTabHandler->showTab(Array, Object(Request))
#5 /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ojs-queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPComponentRou in /Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/htdocs/ojs-queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/DataObject.inc.php on line 67

There are also a bunch of ‘Illegal string offset’ warnings. Any ideas what I’m missing? Maybe a database issue? It doesn’t seem to happen with the other OJS (3.1) instances that are on this server.

Here’s an example journal that is having this issue.

We do have the config set to use mysqli, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Thanks!

Hi @kaitlin

As you said that currently are running an OJS 3 in a server with PHP7, please check that in in your config.inc.php file database driver parameter is set to “mysqli” and not to “mysql”.

Regards,
Israel Cefrin
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @israel.cefrin,

Yes, it is set to mysqli in the config.

Thanks!

Could you see your console log browser when you load that tab and post/check what error message it shows to you ?

Regards,
Israel Cefrin
Public Knowledge Project Team

There are no errors in the console log.

I’ve logged in as one of the users that is seeing a blank page when they try to review (under ‘my assignments’, when they click ‘Review’). I can see the following in the php error log:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught ArgumentCountError: Too few arguments to function PKPPageRouter::getRequestedOp(), 0 passed in /var/www/html/queens/pages/reviewer/ReviewerHandler.inc.php on line 48 and exactly 1 expected in /var/www/html/queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPPageRouter.inc.php:107\nStack trace:\n#0 /var/www/html/queens/pages/reviewer/ReviewerHandler.inc.php(48): PKPPageRouter->getRequestedOp()\n#1 /var/www/html/queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRouter.inc.php(364): ReviewerHandler->authorize(Object(Request), Array, Array)\n#2 /var/www/html/queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPPageRouter.inc.php(239): PKPRouter->_authorizeInitializeAndCallRequest(Array, Object(Request), Array, false)\n#3 /var/www/html/queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php(134): PKPPageRouter->route(Object(Request))\n#4 /var/www/html/queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php(227): Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Request))\n#5 /var/www/html/queens/index.php(68): PKPApplication->execute()\n#6 {main}\n  thrown in /var/www/html/queens/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPPageRouter.inc.php on line 107, referer: https://ojs.library.queensu.ca/index.php/surveillance-and-society/submissions

I’ve resolved the issue with the blank submissions tab - this was caused by duplicate entries with missing locales in our user_settings table. I’m working on upgrading our production instance to 3.1, and will update if the other issues persist!

1 Like