Automatic review reminders aren't being sent - OJS 3.0.2

Hi,

We’re having a problem with the review reminders (the automatic ones): they are never sent.

We tried to see if the problem lied in the configuration of the emails, but every other email was being sent with no problem whatsoever.
We also tried to activate the One_Click option, but nothing changed. We deactivated it again. Nothing.

Can you help us with this issue?

Best regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

I presume you enabled scheduled_tasks in config.inc.php. Have you reviewed the “Scheduled Tasks” area of docs/README? There are additional requirements.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi @asmecher,

I talked with my admin and he said yes, that what you suggested was already enabled from the start.
He told me to send you this command that we have:

code

What else can we do?

Best regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

That looks OK to me at a glance, but there are any number of reasons it might not be working – file permissions, location of your PHP binary, etc., etc. I would suggest trying to run the script manually (e.g. through a SSH session). If that kicks off delivery, then you know OJS is working OK, and something must be wrong with the cron job setup.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher
I’m working with @Alina_T and i confirm that the issues you are pointing out are operational.

Regards,
André

Hi @asmecher

As you can see with @apr answer, we tried the suggestions you made and everything you mentioned is working (running the script manually and the cron job setup - both worked fine and with no errors).

What else can we do?

Best regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

When you say that running the script worked fine and without errors, do you mean that the emails were sent? Or that the script appeared to execute, but no messages were sent?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher

When we ran the script, it appeared to execute (no error messages were found), but the review remind emails were not sent.

Best regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

What do you see in the scheduled_tasks table in the database?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher

This:

class_name last_run
lib.pkp.classes.task.ReviewReminder 26-09-2017 00:00
plugins.generic.usageStats.UsageStatsLoader 26-09-2017 10:27
plugins.importexport.crossref.CrossrefInfoSender 26-09-2017 10:27
plugins.importexport.datacite.DataciteInfoSender 26-09-2017 10:27
plugins.importexport.medra.MedraInfoSender 26-09-2017 10:27

Regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

That looks OK – the last_run date is getting set. By the fact that it ran at 00:00, it looks like the Cron job did it.

The next thing to check is whether any of your review assignments are flagged as having had automated reminders sent. Can you run the following in your database?

SELECT review_id, date_reminded, reminder_was_automatic FROM review_assignments WHERE reminder_was_automatic=1;

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hey @asmecher

My admin said it is empty.

Regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

This suggests that there are no reminders that should be sent. Are you sure there’s a review that deserves a reminder in your system?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

We’re supposed to have a review due tomorrow, and last week I postponed some of the due dates of the reviews to 30 september, so we could have time to implement whatever changes needed to be done in order to make this work. Even so, I believe that is not the point.
If you remember Alec, you said that “The next thing to check is whether any of your review assignments are flagged as having had automated reminders sent”, and sent us a piece of code to run in our database, which result was empty. So me and my admin believe this simply means that there were no automated reminders sent. We have a couple reminders sent a few months ago, but they were not automatic, and this is the problem - not if there’s a review that deserves a reminder in our system.

Best regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

Under the Review tab of the Workflow settings, you can set a number of days after the due date passes after which the reminder will be sent:

Forgive me if I’m not following, but it sounds like this condition has not been met (i.e. the due date hasn’t past plus X number of days, depending on what you have in that settings form), so the reminders haven’t been sent yet.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

Yes, that condition has been met. We already had that settled from the beginning:

foralec

Best regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

I’m more interested in the review assignment than the journal’s configuration. What does the review_assignment row look like for a review you expect to have already resulted in a reminder?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

You mean this?

p

Best regards,
Alina

Hi @Alina_T,

The review due date is October 1st, and the reminders are configured to be sent a week after the due date. Watch for the review reminder to be sent on the 8th.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher,

The “Default Review Deadlines” are the only variables that work with “weeks” - and they exist to define the due dates -, but the information regarding the “Automated Email Reminders” works with “days”.

foralecv2

Sorry if I’m misunderstanding something, but October the 1st is already the review due date, and not even the response due (on the previous week) was considered - to the automated reminders.

My admin asked me to send you this table with every date_due and date_response_due:

e0e9459d-4842-46ec-b89c-11cf323a7be9

So, following your line of thought, if we were only to wait until a week or so passed from one date to another, meanwhile a lot of reminders should have been sent and weren’t.

Best regards,
Alina