Assign reviewer

Hello,
I am running OJS 3.1.1.1 and I’m having difficulties on assigning reviewers to articles.
Following the “Editorial” pipeline, in the “review” tab, I believe I need to assign the reviewers using the right sided “Participants” box. However when I try to do this, in the “Assign Participant” box, I cannot see the list of reviewers. What am I doing wrong?

(I am very new to this system but IMHO this process could be made simpler).

Hi @lfmpc,

When you’re in the review tab, you assign reviewers by clicking the “Add Reviewer” button in the Reviewers panel, below the review files.

Best,
Amanda Stevens
Public Knowledge Project Team

The “Reviewers” list appears empty (shows “No items”) and there are no buttons for adding reviewers.

Hi @lfmpc,

Do you have users in your journal that are assigned the Reviewer role? If so, they should appear here. You should also see 2 additional buttons at the bottom of the pop-up box to “Create New Reviewer” or “Enroll Existing User.” If you do not see these things, can you post a screenshot of the Add Reviewer form on your site?

Thanks,
Amanda Stevens

My users database has many record with “reviewer” role.

Here goes what I am seeing:

I don’t know if this is the useful but when I try to “Assign Participant” then the following box appears:

Hello Amanda,
Unfortunately I can’t see the option to assign a reviewer in version 3.1.1.4. It seems to fail in the case when an author is simultaneously the journal manager and journal editor in one person.
If I login as another user I can see the submission files to assign a reviewer. But what can I do in the above mentioned situation?
see also attechmentojs

Hi @Ute,

Ah, yes, that problem does often arise when you are the author of a submission you are trying to edit. OJS gets confused by it because it doesn’t follow usual peer review practice, although it is necessary in some situations. What I suggest you do is create another user account and give them the Journal Manager and Editor roles, log in as that user, and assign that user as a second editor of the submission. Then as that user you should see the full editorial interface, be able to access the editorial history, upload files, send to copyediting, etc.

Best,
Amanda Stevens

Hi @astevens
Many thanks for quickly answering. It will helps us.
We wish you a nice day and a Merry Christmas.
Ute

1 Like

I have done this and it worked. Thank you!

1 Like

It’s too bad that nearly two years later, this has not been fixed. It really shouldn’t be difficult to add a button for Add Reviewer that appears on every page it may be of use, regardless of who submitted what. It took me over two hours to find this solution, which was pretty frustrating.