Announcements, Datasets, Images, and Audio in the PKP PLN

Some of our articles have accompanying files besides the galley copy of the article, such as datasets, jpegs, and audio files. Are those accompanying files also deposited into the PKP PLN?

Additionally, are announcements published on a journal’s announcement page deposited into the PLN?

We’re using OJS 3.3.0-8 and have enabled the PKP PLN plugin.

Hi @MJS3,

If the material is part of an issue (or an article), it should be captured (e.g. supplementary material that is displayed alongside an article though. I don’t think announcements are though - but I will check with some of the PKP PN folks and get back to you.

We do note in our documentation that the PKP PN shouldn’t be considered the only backup strategy, that journals employ and the importance of doing site backups in addition to participating in the PKP PN:

Please note that archiving your content in the PKP PN is not the same as backing up your OJS site. The PKP PN archive cannot be used if you lose content on your site and need to restore it. Frequent backups of your site should be performed separately.
(https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/pkp-pn/en/#introduction)

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi @MJS3,

Heard back from one of our developers on this who suggested the following:

Essentially everything that’s captured in the native XML export will be included in the PKP PN. I’d suggest they try exporting an article and checking if all the contents they want exported are included.

I hope this helps shed some light on the matter.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi Roger!

Thanks for contacting one the developers to ask about this.

One of our published articles has an accompanying .mp3 audio file. To be clear, that .mp3 file will not be deposited into the PKP PLN, but the article will?

Thanks,
MJS3

Hi @MJS3,

I can’t say for certain. As noted, you’d have to test the Native XML import - and if it is included as part of that it should be captured as part of the PKP PN.

-Roger
PKP Team