All the files (words, figures, letters) have been published with the new OJS 3.0 version

All the files (words, figures, letters) have been published with the new OJS 3.0 version.
We have updated to new OJS 3.0 and, suddenly, all the files into the published articles (words with primary text, figures, letters to editors…) have been published (and they aren’t the final galley).
Of course, we can check every single article and delete from publication (into the production section) the files that aren’t final pdf or supplemental file, but we ask for a global solution, a bulk or massive edit, if possible.

Besides, if we try to delete the single file into the production section, appears a “loading” loop, and it’s impossible to access to files.

Hi @Isabel-M

Phew… That is more than strange… :-\ You mean all the files from submission and review stage are somehow published?
Where do you see all those files, in the backend and frontend? Where on the production page do you see them, in the Galley grid? Do you also see them on the published issue/article page?
Which OJS version did you use earlier?

Thanks!
Bozana

Hi @Isabel-M,

I suspect it’s the Supplementary Files that you’re seeing published – these were probably published in the OJS 2.x release too, just harder to find. We’ve presented them more prominently with 3.x, but I think they were probably inadvertently available before too.

As for the endless spinner, check the PHP error log to see if there’s a message that corresponds to the request.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Dear Bozana, thank you for your prompt reply.
First, yes this is a fringe case :slight_smile:

We come from version 2.64, I think (I’m not sure, sorry - I will ask about it, if it’s important-). The files were previously into the submission section, after in galleys… all the usual procedure.

When we publish the article manually, we check the pdf and we send it to PRODUCTION.

But when the OJS was updated to 3.0, all the files gone magically to production phase and they have published.

Example: File published
Another example: Several files published

Dear Asmecher, thank you for your answer.
I’m afraid the archives aren’t the supplementary files. They are the letters to editors, the submitted first word, etc.
I’m almost sure the files aren’t published in previous version (they weren’t visible), we have checked our published manuscripts every time we publish it, since years ago, from the beginning. We check all the process and the items weren’t there :slight_smile:

However, I will send your response to our web team, in order to review the php information, and I will let you know.
Thank you so much.
Best,

Hi,

Our journals had this exact same problem. The reason why you did not see the supplementary files published in OJS2 is most likely that you did not have Reading Tools enabled. The letters to editors etc. are all basically technically supplementary files.

I solved this by running a SQL query that returned article name, supplementary file name and file_id. Then I showed those lists to our journals and asked which files they wanted to publish with the article. The rest of the file_id’s I ran trough a simple script that removed the files from the submission_galleys table. The result was that the files are still visible in submission stage but in the production stage / galleys the journals only have the supplementary files they actually want to publish.

1 Like

Thank you so much, but now we have solved the problem to the future. In this version we are able to decide what to publish and what not in pre-production section.

The problem to us right now is HOW TO DELETE retroactively all those archives published.

We go to an published article, into the production section, the galleys don’t appear (there is a loading loop). Therefore, we can’t unpublish those unnecessary archives.

We need help with this, if possible. Thanks!

Hi,

The solution I mentioned does exactly that: it removes the unwanted supplementary files from the Galleys panel in the production stage. Of course if you do not have too many articles you can do that manually as well.

It seems that you have not upgraded to OJS 3.0.1. but are using OJS 3.0.0. The new problem you mentioned has been fixed in 3.0.1: Permit all file stages in galleys grid · Issue #1843 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

2 Likes

Dear ajnyga, dear Alec Smecher,

I haven’t words to thank you!

We have finally solved the situation following your instructions.

We changed the js and we can now delete the archives.

Warm regards!

Hi all
Regarding this issue, when you delete supplementary files showing as galley, they are also deleted from the submission page. This is true of OJS 3.0.2.0. This also replicates on OJS 2.4.5.0.

We do not feel a need to delete supplementary files in OJS 2.4.50 as they do not end up as galleys in the published issue; so no discussion here.

In OJS 3.0.2.0, however, the supplementary files show up publicly, and removing them does not seem a good idea as the deleted files are sort of submisson records and should be kept. (As a side note, try to delete supplementary files from Submission page and OJS 3.0.2.0 won’t give you permission for the same user).

So any idea to fix this issue?

Hi @Sina_Ghertasi,

Even if you don’t see the files published as obviously in OJS 2.x, they’re still published – so if you don’t want those files to be exposed and want to continue using OJS 2.x, then you’ll have to remove them from OJS 2.x. The upgrade process to OJS 3.x doesn’t publish previously unpublished content, but it does make previously hard-to-find content much more obvious.

If you do want to migrate to OJS 3.x, there’s another mechanism that will do what you probably were using supplementary files for in OJS 2.x: the document library. This is an area where you can store submission files that are part of the record, but shouldn’t be published, like contracts etc.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

If somebody is still looking for a solution for this, here you have a solution: