All Active submission keeps loading

Describe the issue or problem
Hi, I have an issue regarding All Active submissions that keeps loading. Please refer to the image attached

This is the error from error_log
[16-May-2023 13:53:52 UTC] Slim Application Error:
Type: RuntimeException
Code: 5
Message: Malformed UTF-8 characters, possibly incorrectly encoded
File: /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Http/Response.php
Line: 353
Trace: #0 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/api/v1/_submissions/PKPBackendSubmissionsHandler.inc.php(167): Slim\Http\Response->withJson(Array)
#1 [internal function]: PKPBackendSubmissionsHandler->getSubmissions(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)
#2 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Handlers/Strategies/RequestResponse.php(41): call_user_func(Array, Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)
#3 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Route.php(335): Slim\Handlers\Strategies\RequestResponse->__invoke(Array, Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)
#4 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(117): Slim\Route->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#5 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Route.php(313): Slim\Route->callMiddlewareStack(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#6 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(513): Slim\Route->run(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#7 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/security/authorization/internal/ApiAuthorizationMiddleware.inc.php(74): Slim\App->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#8 [internal function]: ApiAuthorizationMiddleware->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))
#9 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(ApiAuthorizationMiddleware), Array)
#10 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))
#11 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))
#12 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/security/authorization/internal/ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware.inc.php(82): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#13 [internal function]: ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#14 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware), Array)
#15 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#16 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#17 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(67): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#18 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#19 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#20 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#21 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#22 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(89): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#23 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#24 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#25 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#26 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#27 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(117): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#28 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(406): Slim\App->callMiddlewareStack(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#29 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(314): Slim\App->process(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#30 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/core/APIRouter.inc.php(109): Slim\App->run()
#31 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php(134): APIRouter->route(Object(Request))
#32 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php(247): Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Request))
#33 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/index.php(68): PKPApplication->execute()
#34 {main}

Error from debug mode
ion of PKPUsageEventPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with LazyLoadPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 0

Strict Standards : Declaration of SubmissionFileDAO::fromRow() should be compatible with PKPSubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row, $fileImplementation) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/classes/article/SubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 23

Warning : Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php:0) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 867

Warning : Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php:0) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 868

OJS Version

PHP Version

Hello @homeyn99,

Please note that the version of OJS that you’re using is no longer supported by PKP. I recommend that you upgrade to the newest version of OJS, as it is possible that your issue will be resolved by upgrading. However, other community members may wish to offer assistance.

Upgrading instructions are available in the PKP Administrator’s Guide and as part of our [Upgrade Guide] (https://docs.pkp.sfu.ca/dev/upgrade-guide/).

Information about the latest version of OJS can be found on the PKP Website

-Roger
PKP Team

Hello,

Actually, I have tried to update to the latest version 3.3.0. However, I have encounter issue with the database. Hence, I try to update to 3.1.2 since the version is not too far from my old version 3.1.1.4. However, there are many errors thrown when I try to update it. I have tried changing various PHP version PHP Version but still the error below thrown.

Error thrown
Warning : Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0

Deprecated : Non-static method PKPRequest::isPost() should not be called statically in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/form/validation/FormValidatorPost.inc.php on line 38

Deprecated : Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php on line 396

Fatal error : Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function mysql_connect() in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php:456 Stack trace: #0 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php(558): ADODB_mysql->_connect(‘localhost’, ‘removed’, ‘removed’, ‘removed’) #1 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBConnection.inc.php(151): ADOConnection->Connect(‘localhost’, ‘removed’, ‘removed’, ‘removed’, false) #2 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBConnection.inc.php(126): DBConnection->connect() #3 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBConnection.inc.php(83): DBConnection->initConn() #4 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBConnection.inc.php(52): DBConnection->initDefaultDBConnection() #5 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/db/DBConnection.inc.php(227): in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/drivers/adodb-mysql.inc.php on line 456

Please assist with this issue.

Hello @homeyn99,

Note that you accidentally exposed your MySQL credentials in the stack trace above. I’ve removed them from the post, but please change them ASAP, especially if you are sharing credentials with other services.

The mysql_connect error suggests that you’ve configured your MySQL driver to be mysql rather than mysqli in the config.inc.php configuration file. Use mysqli instead as your database driver.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi,

Thank you for telling me regarding the SQL exposed and I have updated the credentials.

I have tried to change to mysqli but I still encounter this error. I am not sure with this issue since it is related with handler.

Error
Warning : Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbObject has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 106

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbTable has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 205

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbIndex has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 613

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbData has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 774

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbQuerySet has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 959

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; adoSchema has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 1217

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADODB_Cache_File has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 263

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADOConnection has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 359

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADORecordSet has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 2921

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADORecordSet_array has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 3939

Deprecated : Non-static method PKPRequest::isPost() should not be called statically in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/form/validation/FormValidatorPost.inc.php on line 38

Deprecated : Non-static method PKPRequest::_checkThis() should not be called statically in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPRequest.inc.php on line 396

Deprecated : The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 1003

Deprecated : Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; CounterReport has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/plugins/reports/counter/classes/CounterReport.inc.php on line 33

Warning : Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php:0) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 836

Warning : Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php:0) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php on line 837

Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/cache/t_compile/e8ea13aa559bf8604ca823015b397a28d8666486^28682bb3d6b6e750ebd3d458abc8f92b4da9ea9f_0.app.headerusernav.tpl.php on line 136

Kindly assist on this.

Hi @homeyn99,

Your PHP configuration is set to send warnings and errors to the browser, which is interfering with the application. Change your PHP configuration so that errors and warnings are directed to the log, and the issue should go away. (This is the recommended production PHP configuration.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi @asmecher ,

I have turned off the PHP error and the exact error is with the database.

Error thrown
Errors occurred during installation:

• A database error has occurred: Incorrect table definition; there can be only one auto column and it must be defined as a key

DB Debug
(mysqli): ALTER TABLE submission_files MODIFY COLUMN file_id BIGINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT

Query: ALTER TABLE submission_files MODIFY COLUMN file_id BIGINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT failed. Incorrect table definition; there can be only one auto column and it must be defined as a key
1075: Incorrect table definition; there can be only one auto column and it must be defined as a key

ADOConnection._Execute(ALTER TABLE submission_files MODIFY COLUMN file_id BIGINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, false) % line 1051, file: [adodb.inc.php](file://home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php) ADOConnection.Execute(ALTER TABLE submission_files MODIFY COLUMN file_id BIGINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT) % line 446, file: [Installer.inc.php](file://home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/install/Installer.inc.php) Installer.executeSQL(ALTER TABLE submission_files MODIFY COLUMN file_id BIGINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT) % line 441, file: [Installer.inc.php](file://home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/install/Installer.inc.php) Installer.executeSQL(Array[40]) % line 375, file: [Installer.inc.php](file://home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/install/Installer.inc.php) Installer.executeAction(Array[3]) % line 265, file: [Installer.inc.php](file://home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/classes/install/Installer.inc.php)

Hi @homeyn99,

Can you describe what you’re doing in a little more detail? Your original post described trouble loading the “All Active Submissions” list, but now it appears that you’re attempting to run an installation or upgrade process.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi,

Actually, my main issue is All Active submission is loading. The first reply to my question is, suggesting for upgrading since my current OJS is no longer supported. I try to upgrade on the staging site before doing it on the live site. However, when I try to upgrade, I have encountered the database issue. If “All Active Submission” can be solved without upgrading, then I don’t have to upgrade the OJS version.

The All-Active Submission issue, I’ve got API issue.

Error thrown for All Active Submission
Warning : Declaration of PKPUsageEventPlugin::getEnabled() should be compatible with LazyLoadPlugin::getEnabled($contextId = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/plugins/generic/usageEvent/PKPUsageEventPlugin.inc.php on line 0

Warning : Declaration of SubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row) should be compatible with PKPSubmissionFileDAO::fromRow($row, $fileImplementation) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/classes/article/SubmissionFileDAO.inc.php on line 23

Hi @homeyn99,

PHP is still configured to send errors and warnings to the browser, as I mentioned above. You’ll need to change that.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi,

I turn on the debug mode on purpose just to check any error thrown.

This is another error on console

I am not sure how to solve this since it is related with the application issue. Kindly assist on this how to solve this.

Hi @homeyn99,

The 500 response indicates that there was a fatal PHP error; look at your PHP error log to find details.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi,

PHP error_log
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbObject has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 106
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbTable has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 205
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbIndex has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 613
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbData has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 774
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; dbQuerySet has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 959
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; adoSchema has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb-xmlschema.inc.php on line 1217
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADODB_Cache_File has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 263
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADOConnection has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 359
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADORecordSet has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 2921
[19-May-2023 18:50:40 UTC] PHP Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ADORecordSet_array has a deprecated constructor in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/lib/adodb/adodb.inc.php on line 3939
[19-May-2023 18:50:47 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0
[19-May-2023 18:50:50 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0
[19-May-2023 18:50:51 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0
[19-May-2023 18:50:57 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0
[19-May-2023 18:51:03 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0
[19-May-2023 18:51:06 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0
[19-May-2023 18:51:07 UTC] PHP Warning: Declaration of InstallHandler::validate($request) should be compatible with PKPHandler::validate($requiredContexts = NULL, $request = NULL) in /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/newojs/lib/pkp/pages/install/InstallHandler.inc.php on line 0

PHP Version
PHP 7.0.33

Hi @homeyn99,

Those are only warnings; look for something with the words “fatal error”.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Hi,

There is no “fatal” error, only this error.

Error
[23-May-2023 01:08:25 UTC] Slim Application Error:
Type: RuntimeException
Code: 5
Message: Malformed UTF-8 characters, possibly incorrectly encoded
File: /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Http/Response.php
Line: 353
Trace: #0 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/api/v1/_submissions/PKPBackendSubmissionsHandler.inc.php(167): Slim\Http\Response->withJson(Array)
#1 [internal function]: PKPBackendSubmissionsHandler->getSubmissions(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)
#2 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Handlers/Strategies/RequestResponse.php(41): call_user_func(Array, Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)
#3 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Route.php(335): Slim\Handlers\Strategies\RequestResponse->__invoke(Array, Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Array)
#4 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(117): Slim\Route->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#5 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/Route.php(313): Slim\Route->callMiddlewareStack(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#6 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(513): Slim\Route->run(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#7 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/security/authorization/internal/ApiAuthorizationMiddleware.inc.php(74): Slim\App->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#8 [internal function]: ApiAuthorizationMiddleware->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))
#9 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(ApiAuthorizationMiddleware), Array)
#10 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))
#11 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Slim\App))
#12 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/security/authorization/internal/ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware.inc.php(82): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#13 [internal function]: ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#14 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(ApiTokenDecodingMiddleware), Array)
#15 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#16 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#17 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(67): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#18 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#19 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#20 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#21 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#22 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/handler/APIHandler.inc.php(89): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#23 [internal function]: APIHandler->{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#24 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/DeferredCallable.php(43): call_user_func_array(Object(Closure), Array)
#25 [internal function]: Slim\DeferredCallable->__invoke(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#26 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(70): call_user_func(Object(Slim\DeferredCallable), Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse), Object(Closure))
#27 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/MiddlewareAwareTrait.php(117): Slim\App->Slim{closure}(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#28 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(406): Slim\App->callMiddlewareStack(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#29 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/lib/vendor/slim/slim/Slim/App.php(314): Slim\App->process(Object(Slim\Http\Request), Object(APIResponse))
#30 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/core/APIRouter.inc.php(109): Slim\App->run()
#31 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/core/Dispatcher.inc.php(134): APIRouter->route(Object(Request))
#32 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPApplication.inc.php(247): Dispatcher->dispatch(Object(Request))
#33 /home/bioenvui/public_html/gadingssuitm/index.php(68): PKPApplication->execute()
#34 {main}
View in rendered output by enabling the “displayErrorDetails” setting.

Hi @homeyn99,

OK, this is starting to look like a UTF-8 encoding issue. It’s likely that there is some bad data in your database; these can be hard to track down. I would suggest adding some error_log debugging to lib/pkp/api/v1/_submissions/PKPBackendSubmissionsHandler.inc.php leading up to line 167 (which triggers the error) to dump the data that is being built into the Slim response. Look for garbled accents or other strange characters.

If the database got scrambled e.g. due to an incorrectly set default character set, or dump/reload cycle across differently configured servers, or something similar, you may need to run the database through a tool like ftfy to unscramble special characters in it. Try searching the forums here for ftfy, and you’ll find discussions of that tool, and other solutions to scrambled UTF-8 content.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

This topic was automatically closed after 11 days. New replies are no longer allowed.