Advise requested: audio and video files

One of the journals that we have migrated to the OJS platform includes music videos and sound tracks. These files vary in size with the video (even compressed) exceeding 40MB. I have some questions:

1. How does one add these mp3 and m4v files onto OJS as they accompany articles, and therefore are really not entities on their own;
  2. Is it better to use an insitutional youtube channel to host these and have OJS point to these? Is so, is it possible to provide hyperlinks within a the table of contents within a specific section e.g. tracklist with titles hyprlinked to youtube?

Thanks in advance,
Wynand

Hi @Wynand_van_der_Walt,

What version of OJS are you using? (Please include this information in your posts.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,
Apologies. We are using version OJS 2.4.8.0.

Regards,

Wynand

Hi @Wynand_van_der_Walt,

On large files: It’s a little clumsy to work with large files in OJS 2.x; the OJS 3.x upload tool has a progress indicator, which makes it a little less painful. That said, OJS 2.x doesn’t have a built-in limit on file size; there are a few web server settings that might establish an upper limit (see the FAQ) but OJS will operate just fine within that.

As for embedding multimedia, there’s a wiki page documenting how to do this in OJS 2.x: https://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Embedding_Multimedia_within_OJS_and_OCS

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec,

Thank you so much. I think the demo journal setup is exactly what I was looking for. I tried loading a file of 40mb but fails for some reason. i will look at the FAQs regarding this.

regards,

Wynand