Adding supplement links to the journal homepage

Hi,

I’d like to add supplements links to the journal homepage beside PDF link. I tried by copying the code used in the detail article page but it didn’t work. Any help on this? Thx.

Regards.

Hi @orcalator,

Can you provide a few more details here:

• What do you mean by “supplement” links? Perhaps you could give an example.
  • What version of OJS are you using (e.g. 3.3.0-8)? Please include this information in your posts, as it is important when others offer suggestions.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Hi @rcgillis,

Supplement documents links. Articles can have supplement documents beside full text PDF. Those links are displayed on article details page but not on the journal/last issue page. I’m using OJS 3.2.

Regards.

Hi @orcalator,

I see what you mean. It’s not quite the same, but you can upload material in addition to galleys, but unfortunately, you can’t really have these as links to remote material. Typically these are added along with the submission. If it’s for something that’s already published, you can unpublish it, and then go to the submission and go to Workflow → Production Ready Files → Upload Files. There you can upload a file and select a category (e.g. Datasets, Research results, etc. - although if the type of file you’re working with doesn’t fit into this category and you can select other). This should display the file alongside the galley. For items that are just being submitted, you can encourage authors to submit supplementary material with their submission (which they can do in the submission process). If this isn’t what you had in mind, please let me know.

Best regards,

-Roger
PKP Team

@rcgillis,

Thank you for reply. I was thinking more like adding a bit of code to support that functionality. That should not be hard, especially because there is already that feature implemented but on the subpage (article details). However that code doesn’t work on journal homepage so i wanted to ask if devs can give me a hint where to look for. This would speed up things. If not i will fire up debugger and do some reverse code engineering. There are already many issues/articles published and i was asked as a programmer to make this possible :slight_smile:

Regards.

Hi @orcalator,

Thanks for clarifying. I think I misunderstood your question. I think this might be possible with some theming changes, but I can’t say for certain… If you haven’t already seen it, you may wish to check out our theming guide: PKP Theming Guide: A guide to theming and customizations in OJS 3 and OMP 1.2
I’ll see if some of our devs can offer some advice on how to go about this when they are available.

Best regards,

Roger
PKP Team

Thank you @rcgillis :slight_smile:

Regards.

One of the uses of this feature would be to link not only to supplemental materials that might be elsewhere, but also to the data that supports the research. Many times, the data may be in other repositories. PLOS has a separate place on the article page that links to data. See the example at https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.3001107

Perhaps a way to do this would be to create a galley with the label “Supplemental Data” that points to a web address where the data is stored. Not as clean as having it in a separate section of the article page, but hypothetically, it should work if the HTML Article Galley plugin is turned on.