Adding/editing an ORCID iD for an author linked to specific submission

Hello,

I’m looking for help with adding/editing an author’s ORCID iD in a specific submission. While I am able to add an ORCID iD to an author’s profile by going to Users and then adding it to their profile, this does not get linked to the submission they are a contributor on (not as the primary contributing author). When I try to edit their ORCID iD in the submission itself, here is a screenshot of what I see:
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 12.02.33 PM

The ORCID iD field is not editable. Additionally, if I click “Delete ORCID iD and access token” in an attempt to remove the current incorrect ORCID link, I get the error message shown in this screenshot:
Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 12.07.39 PM

This issue arose because the author received an error message when trying to link their ORCID iD using the link generated when I click the “send e-mail to request ORCID authorization from contributor” button. So using this method isn’t working either. Is there any way to for me to add and edit the author’s ORCID iD for this submission manually from my end?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @Rachel ,

I click the “send e-mail to request ORCID authorization from contributor” button.

Have you checked whether your oricd credentials are correct and you have the newest version of the plugin,

Is there any way to for me to add and edit the author’s ORCID iD for this submission manually from my end?

You cannot manually edit the orcid entries, after enabling the plugin. It is due to recommendations from orcid.org, that we have implemented it that way to allow only verified orcids in OJS:

Hi @Dulip_Withanage

Thank you for your response! Yes, it doesn’t tell me there are any updates required, and the credentials work as this does work for other authors and I tried it myself successfully in a test submission as well.

If there is no way to manually edit the ORCID entries, is there any other way to fix this problem? The error message that the author gets is that the ORCID is not verified – and at the same time there is no way for me or them to include a verified one linked to the submission. (When I upload their ORCID to their profile, it works fine).

Thank you!

Hi @Rachel
I have released two versions in plugin-gallery.

OJS 3.1 Release v1_1_1-12 · pkp/orcidProfile · GitHub
OJS 3.2 Release v1_1_2-7 · pkp/orcidProfile · GitHub

In those versions, if the client-id or secret is incorrect, the plugin will be disabled.
So you may able to edit orcid ids, if you temporarily disable the plugin or add incorrect credentials.

Please note this is a workaround and not a solution and let me know, if that helps.

Hi @Dulip_Withanage

Thank you so much. I’m the journal manager so I don’t know much about the technical aspects of this - how can I utilize these versions? Does it require access to the backend of the website?

Thank you!

Hi @Rachel ,
yes, you have to update the plugin in the backend. You need generally administration credentials for installing plugins. I would ask the operations team to update it.

We tried this and it worked! Thanks!

Hi @Dulip_Withanage, this has worked for us – thank you!