A database error has occurred: Duplicate entry 'JQueryPlugin-0-enabled' for key 'plugin_settings_pkey'

I am trying to install OJS version 3.0.1 using an existing MySQL database. I am receiving an error during the install process. A database error has occurred: Duplicate entry ‘JQueryPlugin-0-enabled’ for key ‘plugin_settings_pkey’.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @smithmich,

It sounds like you’re trying to run the installation process, which expects an empty database, on a database that already contains content. I suspect that process isn’t going to do what you expect. Can you describe what you’d like to do?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I have a database dump from an existing installation. We are going to be hosting a journal that was previously hosted elsewhere. Should I choose the upgrade path instead?

Hi @smithmich,

If the previous installation is an older version then yes, the upgrade process is the one to follow. If it’s the same version, then no need to perform either an install or upgrade – just configure your config.inc.php file with the details e.g. of your database and you should be OK to go.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks. I got past that error but now I am seeing DB Error: Unknown column ‘domain’ in ‘field list’ when I access the site.

Hi @smithmich,

What version was your old installation? Did you successfully run the upgrade script?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I am told the old OJS version was 2.3.2.1. the upgrade script did run successfully.

Hi @smithmich,

The upgrade script should take care of migrating the database contents to the new version, and that includes adding the domain column to the sessions table. The error message you quote indicates that this change didn’t take place. Off the top of my head, that suggests that either the upgrade script didn’t complete successfully, or the lib/pkp/xml/schema/common.xml file that describes the sessions table doesn’t include the domain column for some reason.

Can you double-check that lib/pkp/xml/schema/common.xml matches the version distributed with OJS 3.0.1? Can you post the output from the upgrade process?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I am running RedHat 7. I don’t have a lib/pkp folder. Where would I find the common.xml.

Hi @smithmich,

That path should be a subdirectory of your OJS installation directory.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

This is my common.xml file.

If not 0, redirect to the specified journal/conference/... site.Primary locale for the site.Locales for which support has been installed.Locales supported by the site (for hosted journals/conferences/...).Common site settings.
(bool|int|float|string|object)Site settings.setting_namelocale
User authentication sources.
User authentication credentials and profile data.usernameemail
Locale-specific user datauser_iduser_idlocalesetting_nameassoc_typeassoc_id
Browser/user sessions and session data.user_idsession_id
Access keys are used to provide pseudo-login functionality for security-minimal tasks. Passkeys can be emailed directly to users, who can use them for a limited time in lieu of standard username and password.key_hashuser_idcontext
Stores notifications for users as created by the system after certain operations.context_iduser_idlevelcontext_idlevelassoc_typeassoc_id
(bool|int|float|string|object)Stores metadata for specific notificationsnotification_idlocalesetting_name

Stores subscriptions to the notification mailing listemailcontext
Unique identifier for this email.Default email templates.email_key

Unique identifier for this email. Templates for emails.email_keyassoc_typeassoc_idassoc_typeassoc_id
Unique identifier for this email. Data for email templates.email_keylocaleassoc_typeassoc_id
Resumption tokens for the OAI protocol interface.token
Currently running processes.process_id
(bool|int|float|string|object)Plugin settings.plugin_nameplugin_namecontext_idsetting_name

OK that didn’t work. How can I post my common.xml file so you can see it?

Hi @smithmich,

This forum supports Markdown syntax, and you can use the code quoting button when composing a post. But rather than posting that file, can you just check whether it’s the same as the one that’s included with the OJS 3.0.1 package?

(By the way, OJS 3.0.2 has recently been released – I don’t think it’ll make a difference with the issue you’re encountering, but if you’re looking at upgrading, I’d suggest upgrading to the latest release.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

The files are the same. I even replaced the common.xml in the install directory with one exctacted from the package. I am still seeing the DB error about domain in the list. Should I try installing the 2.3.2 version first?

Hi @smithmich,

Can you post the full output from the upgrade process? (If you were using the web-based upgrade tool, I’d suggest trying the command-line one instead; it provides more output to indicate what happened when a problem occurs.) Restore your database and files directory from the 2.x version before running the upgrade again.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

OK all I have is the database from the 2.x version. How do I upgrade if I never had a previous version installed.

Hi @smithmich,

Follow the instructions in docs/UPGRADE for the “Full Package” upgrade process. It doesn’t require you to have installed the old (2.x) version of the code; it requires a copy of the database, the files storage area (files_dir in your config.inc.php, where submission uploads are stored), and the public directory (where images and CSS are stored). You can edit the config.inc.php file from the 3.0.x package to give it the details it needs (rather than starting with the config.inc.php from your old install) and otherwise follow the instructions.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

I went back and installed version 2.3.2 with the database I have using the upgrade web format and it worked. I am trying to get to version 3.0 so I tried to upgrade to 2.4.8 first. During the upgrade process I get the error A database error has occurred: Table ‘ojs2.article_event_log’ doesn’t exist. How can I get around this?

Hi @smithmich,

Can you clarify whether your OJS 2.3.2 database contains the article_event_log table?

Regards,
Alec Smecher

How do I do that? I’m sorry if I’m asking dumb questions but this is all new to me.