3.1.1.0 Article publication date different to Issue publication date

Our journals are using 3.1.1.0. I notice that the publication dates for articles shows as the day ‘scheduled for publication’ not the actual live publication date of the issue (the issue publication date is correct).

In previous versions the article date correctly changed to the issue date. I know we can fix this manually for each article but it’s rather tedious and unnecessary and embarrassing to say it’s not automatic to each editor and if not done it can lead to an incorrect citation.

Is there something we’ve missed in the set - up or is this a bug?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Tuwpub,

Are these articles that are scheduled into an already-published issue, or are they scheduled before the issue is published?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hi Alec

They were scheduled before the issue was published.

You will have to change in the inc.php file (from article date to issue date). I too hvae changed it. Will share the change in a day as i get my hands on the comp. al articles will show issue publication date then instead of article publication date.

1 Like

Thank you, that would be much appreciated!

1 Like

In CitationStyleLanguagePlugin.inc.php [please note: this may not be a correct way, but it works)

if ($article->getDatePublished()) {
			$citationData->issued = new stdClass();
			$citationData->issued->raw = htmlspecialchars($article->getDatePublished());
		} elseif ($issue->getPublished()) {
			$citationData->issued->raw = htmlspecialchars($issue->getPublished());
		}

just change it to

if ($article->getDatePublished()) {
			$citationData->issued->raw = htmlspecialchars($issue->getDatePublished());
		} elseif ($issue->getPublished()) {
			$citationData->issued->raw = htmlspecialchars($issue->getDatePublished());
		}
1 Like

Thank you, I got IT to apply the fix, nothing appears to have happened to the current issue (or past issues) but will it appear in future issues?

The current issue was published 30-11-2017 yet

I don’t understand why they have different dates.

(these dois work but for some reason the URLs aren’t resolving everytime!) This is the journal Pacific Journalism Review : Te Koakoa

@asmecher, since this is a current situation with at least one of my journals, is there a possibility to quick fix this? So, a configuration that says “article publication date = issue publication date” as long as the article is scheduled for release BEFORE the issue is released.

Cheers,

Adrian

Hi @GrazingScientist,

I see – it looks like the code that sets article publication dates did not get ported into OJS 3.x. I’ve filed that here: Article publication date should be updated on issue publication · Issue #5392 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Please watch for a patch to correct the problem.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team