Translating reader interface

Hi
In 3.0 you have chosen to separate the style sheets and underlying templates for the administrative interface and the reader interface. Wouldn’t it be a good idea to make the same division when it comes to the translation part. I mean it would be a great help if you separate the reader files from the administrative files. Here in Denmark we are used to work with English programs so we could easily use the English UI in the adminstative section and settle for a Danish translation of the reader files.
Regards
Niels Erik

Hi @nef,

That’s not a bad idea. The challenge is that some parts of the interface have locale keys named for where they appear (e.g. manager.people.allUsers), and others are named for the entities they relate to (e.g. submission.submitter). These are hard to delineate as front-end vs. back-end.

@NateWr, do you have an opinion on this?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

I would gladly buy anyone a drink if they can sort out the spaghetti of our translation files. :slight_smile:

I’d love to see a greater frontend/backend separation. I do think our frontend will always be a bit scattered: some strings will be in ojs/pkp-lib, some in block plugins, some in the theme itself. But like the template files, it will help a lot if we can sequester these in their own directory. Even if that means we end up duplicating some string translations, I think it’d be worth it.

I also think there’s been some string abuse that’s accumulated over the years (I’m probably perpetrator number 1 on this). This happens when, instead of just creating a new translation with an appropriate domain that references what we’re using it for (eg - controller.grid.submission.editArticle), we end up just using something that already exists (eg - submissions.author.editArticle). Me and @mtub chatted about this when he was visiting recently. It creates a problem because even though we may use the same phrase in English, other languages might really need a different phrase in each location.

This is a big cleanup project, though, so I don’t know where to put it in our list of priorities. But yes, I like the idea in general.

1 Like