Site management OJS - capabilities for a new role: Publisher Employee

Dear OJS Support

Please design one new role, which can make submission to publication, but not able to change in Journal or in Website. I have not found any such role in OJS Software. Most of the Societies or Publishers do not command with OJS software. This will also disallow any employee to misconduct, presently they can place their own Bank Account instead of the organisation account, etc.

Hi @IJELLH

Currently, the author role is able to make submissions but can’t Journal Website section. Have you tested it already?

Best,
Israel Cefrin
PKP Team

We are requesting to design one new role (other the then Author), which can make submission to publication, but not able to changes in Journal or in Website.
Like I am a publisher, but all process from submission to publication is done by my employees. Unfortunately they can make all the changer in the OJS website including name of publisher and Bank account.

Hi @IJELLH

The author role is meant to make submissions only. It is the first role with a content privilege (the only role below is the reader, that can’t send any content). Could you please double check whether your employees are only authors or they have higher roles in the system?
It is likely they are authors and editors as well.

Best,
Israel Cefrin
PKP Team

Hi @IJELLH
I think you need a user role that can;

• make submissions
  • accept the submissions
  • make any kind of download & upload at copyediting stage, & send to production stage
  • make any kind of download & upload at production stage & schedule for publishing
  • generate new issues, add submissions to those issues, than publish them,
    But have not been entitled to;
  • make any change on Journal settings
  • make any change on Website settings,
    and any other changes on Workflow & distribution settings.
    If I am right;
    It would be very handy for the journals when they enter into agreement with publishing companies, but I think there is no such a unified “Publisher’s Employee” role. But, may be the developers discuss about it for the future releases.
    Regards,
1 Like

Absolutely sir, you understood my suggestion. Sir this role “Publisher’s Employee” will be very beneficial for OJS Journals Publishers. Most of us publishers are not very friendly with website related softwares or we are busy with other publication related activities. An employee’s can cheat us at any time and may become owner of the journal.
Therefor I humbly request you to please discuss this suggestion with priority.
Thank for you swift reply
Regards

Yes, Publisher’s Employee role is very much required.

1 Like

Please raise this issue in the forum and keep it alive. Can you please share me your journals link?

Journal title: Plant Science Today
Homepage: https://horizonepublishing.com/journals/index.php/PST/index

1 Like

Yes , it is very much needed

Sir, please work on Publisher’s Employee Role, which will be very useful.

Hi @IJELLH and @drugurkocak

What would be the difference between this new role and a Journal Manager?

I think you need a user role that can;

• make submissions
  • accept the submissions
  • make any kind of download & upload at copyediting stage, & send to production stage
  • make any kind of download & upload at production stage & schedule for publishing
    If I am right;
    It would be very handy for the journals when they enter into agreement with publishing companies, but I think there is no such a unified “Publisher’s Employee” role. But, may be the developers discuss about it for the future releases.

Best,
Israel

Hi @israel.cefrin

From my previous experience, I can say that a Journal Manager has the highest privileges. In many installations, if the editor has not been registered on other journals (of the same OJS installation), he can even log in as editor, and can do any actions. It can change any journal settings too.

But, the publishing companies or the editors that enter into a publishing agreement (like me) require the staff to have no right to change any system or journal settings.

I think, such a role (or roles) may contribute to a wider use of OJS by publishing companies,
Best regards,

1 Like

Hi @drugurkocak

I think it is already possible to create such role from OJS Dashboard. You just need set it to the Section Editor Permission level.

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 5.35.58 PM

Then you can set the Role name as wished and you can even select a few more options and grant privileges to the user.
Please, let me know whether this can be an option for what you are looking for.

Best,
Israel

Dear @israel.cefrin

Unfortunately, section editor (role) have no right to make, or publish a new issue. That is the major problem. If it could, then it might help.

Regards,

1 Like

Perfect, thanks for testing it.
I will add a tag for “Feature Request” to this thread and this way our dev team can track it if it is feasible to achieve on future releases.

Best,
Israel

Yes, sir, we are waiting for a new role that can make a submission to publication, but,.no right to change any system or journal settings.
This will also disallow any employee to misconduct, presently they can place their own Bank Account instead of the organisation account, etc.

Gentle reminder regarding my request of a New Role that can;

• make submissions
  • accept the submissions
  • make any kind of download & upload at copyediting stage, & send to the production stage
    If I am right;
    It would be very handy for the journals when they enter into agreement with publishing companies, but I think there is no such a unified “Publisher’s Employee” role. But, may be the developers discuss about it for the future releases."

Any update regarding New Role?

Hi @IJELLH,

No, there are no plans at this time to work on this.