Refine or remove the revision/not a revision distinction

We are using OJS 3.1. We have a lot of trouble with the file upload step that identifies a file as a revision of an existing file. Often the system will identify a file as a revision even when the file names are not all that similar. (For example, when uploading a file named “Figure 2,” OJS identify it as a revision of Figure 1.) Authors find it very confusing, and we often end up with missing files because a previously uploaded file has been overwritten as a “revision.” I understand that there is an option to select “This is not a revision of an existing file,” but many authors get flustered when presented with the dialogue box, and just click “OK” without really understanding what’s happening.

I would like to see that step eliminated, or at least make the system less likely to identify files as revisions unless the file names are exactly the same.

I second this. It’s confusing for both editors and authors. When authors upload revisions during the Review step with multiple files (e.g., revised version of paper, response to reviewers, track changes version), it warns them that the additional files are revisions. I’m getting emails with all these attached instead them submitting it through the system because they think it’s an error message.

When editors upload multiple image files in a galley that have similar names, it gives the same message. Editors have to confirm twice that they’re not revisions.

User Crism reported back in 2016: [OJS] Uploaded files are sometimes missing from filesystem · Issue #2055 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub

Hi @Janet_Swatscheno (& all),

You can adjust the similarity match requirement in config.inc.php in the filename_revision_match setting. A match requirement of 100 (percent) will only result in a match if the filename is exactly the same; a setting of, say, 110 (percent) will never match.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Thank you for your quick reply. We will adjust the similarity match requirement.

Best,
Janet