reCAPTCHA V2 for ojs

Good day pkp support.

We are working on OJS 2.4.7 and are useing the recaptcha feature.
We noticed that OJS is currently only using recaptcha V1 and not V2 that is a bit more neatly and easier to use for users.

Are there development in progress to enable OJS to use V2 in the future or would we need to submit a request that it might be looked into that V2 feature be developed for ojs?

Hi @Daniel,

I’ve filed this for attention in our git issues list:

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team

Hello all,

Has this been resolved?
I didn’t want to open a new issue as this is exactly my problem.
I received a message warning that the reCaptcha V1. API will be shutdown in March.
Will v2 be available for OJS 2.4.x or will we be forced to upgrade to OJS 3?

1 Like

ReCAPTHCA v2 support will be available in OJS 2.4.9.

You can find the merged pull requests in the Issue link above.

Hello,
This note above suggests that recaptcha V2 has been spun into ojs 2.4.9 however there is not 2.4.9 posted on the download website. Has it been spun into another version like 2.4.8.3?

Add ReCAPTCHA v2 to OJS 2.x #2608

Thanks!

Hi @radjr,

OJS 2.4.9 has not been released (and our plans for it aren’t concrete yet). For the latest OJS 2.4.8 release, you can follow the directions here to get ReCAPTCHAv2 working: reCAPTHA v2 for OJS 2.4.8

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec. Unfortunately, that link drops to a plethora of entries and leads to: reCaptcha V2 Manual upgrade steps which seems to infer that there are only two code changes but also infers that this implementation in 2.4.8.3 is broken. So, not understanding the nuances, what should we be doing? Thanks!!

Also as a hardware guy, it also seems that we have to go to recaptcha and recreate a V2 set of keys?

At https://www.google.com/recaptcha/admin

Hi @radjr,

The OJS 2.4.8-3 implementation needs those two patches applied, and the config.inc.php configuration updated per the description on the other thread.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks Alec, so does that mean that 2.4.8.1 users need to upgrade first? I know, a dumb question…but just thought I would check. Thanks!

Hi @radjr,

To bring your OJS 2.4.8-1 code up to 2.4.8-3 in this regard, you’d first need to apply pkp/pkp-lib#2608: Enable ReCAPTCHA v2 as an option by ctgraham · Pull Request #2609 · pkp/pkp-lib · GitHub and pkp/pkp-lib#2608: Enable ReCAPTCHA v2 as an option by ctgraham · Pull Request #1435 · pkp/ojs · GitHub. Then you’d be able to apply the more recent fixes to the OJS 2.4.8-3 code. (Please take a backup before you do this – I haven’t tried it myself.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks. Your the best!

Hello,

I didn’t want to open a new issue.
To enable recaptcha in OJS 2.4.8.3, should we install the patches as well or just include the keys in config.inc.php?

Regards,
Nathalia Avila

Hi @Nathalia_Avila,

You’ll need to do both.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

Thanks @asmecher.

Regards,
Nathalia Avila

Hi,
Sorry if mistaken, but I ask you about the procedure to manually enable recaptcha in OJS 2.4.2.0.

Thanks,
Marius